Menu

Linux GCB

2019-10-17
2019-10-29
1 2 > >> (Page 1 of 2)
  • stan cartwright

stan cartwright - 2019-10-17

There's a great tutorial on the forum for installing gcb on linux.
    Am I supposed to go through all that?
    I've only really used linux on a rasperry pi...cos it runs linux but most stuff is sudo apt-install xxxx.
    Much the same with linux mint.
    Why isn't there a pre compiled version available.
    If I did try the method for linux installation and somehow it worked, what about updates?
    ps I just found there's chrome for linux. you click download and you get .deb file which you double click and it installs crome on mint,easy as win. Chrome runs netflix,chromium doesn't so uninstalled.
    The article http://gcbasic.sourceforge.net/Typesetter/index.php/Install-Great-Cow-BASIC-for-Linux ... I might try it tonight. Won't have a clue :)

Last edit: stan cartwright 2019-10-17
  • bed

bed - 2019-10-18

The problem is to make an universal package for installation. And by the way the current build process (anobium's task) is complicate and will not updated to reflect your wish in the near future.
    What I can offer, I could make an individual package which can be installed by you out of the box.

This would be based on my responsibility, availability and available time. So it's nothing you could call an "automatic process", but an addon on a voluntary basis.
    Could that be an interim solution?
    The question goes to everyone who is interested.

Last edit: bed 2019-10-18
  • stan cartwright

stan cartwright - 2019-10-18

I would not want to bother you. A kind offer. Thanks.
    I think a competent linux user would have no problems but it's a lot to learn for a beginner.
    The last time I used wine was on a 486 machine ubuntu and ran win dos games.
    Would wine run gcb?

• bed

bed - 2019-10-19

Yes wine runs gcb, but it is much slower than the native variante

• mkstevo

mkstevo - 2019-10-19

I wrote some guides, advice and scripts I used when I ran GCB under WINE on my Mac. It is listed on the forum as something like running GCB on the Mac. It could be slower by some significant margin when compiling, but my scripts sped this up by quite a chunk. I used the WINE install(s) exclusively on a daily basis for a long time so it is highly useable. After some time, I figured out how to compile the compiler into a native macOS binary and switched to that (also logged on the forum) as it dropped a large compile time by a factor of such enormous proportions it was well worth figuring out how to compile it. Then @Trev did it significantly better!

One big advantage of WINE, is that it uses the standard IDE. This made it easier to use once installed. I never got the "in IDE" programming to work, but I always used mpLAB IPE for that anyway.

If you want to try WINE, my guide to using it on the Mac should give you an idea of how I managed to install it, most of this should be similar to Linux, hopefully enough to get you running.

• stan cartwright

stan cartwright - 2019-10-19

Thanks. Wine has been updated a lot since dos days. It didn't need any configuration to use years ago.

• bed

bed - 2019-10-19

As I found 2 Years ago: The compiler in the native Linux version is about 4 times faster.
    The wine normally doesn't have such big losses, the question arises, why is that?
    If speed is not your problem, go ahead :-)

• Anobium

Anobium - 2019-10-19

The big performance improvement was the removal of the preprocessing AWK script file. This make Wine and other non-Windows operating system slower.

It may be time to remove the AWK stuff from Windows. The libraries are very stable nowadays.

• stan cartwright

I got to install wine from https://www.linuxbabe.com/linux-mint/install-wine-linux-mint-19-1
    using software manager. It installed gecko and then something else needed but once installed it shows an icon in the menu so clicked wine and then configure. Gcb is in c:/gcb@syn/synwrite/syn to start gcb in win 10.
    I can find gcb@syn/synwrite/settings with 2 text files...not syn.
    Must check out how to make a bottle?

• stan cartwright

If c:/gcb@syn/synwrite/syn runs gcb in win...it doesn't show in linux files like it does in win 10 so wine needs a syn.exe ro run it???

• stan cartwright

My apologies. There was no syn.exe in my win 10 gcb. I messed up some where. The icon was blank and it didn't work so I reinstalled gcb for win and now wine might work.
    All this had disappeared.

• stan cartwright

With new win gcb installed I rebooted to linux mint and I had selected win 10 in wine config so used files and found syn.exe, double clicked it and the ide opened only it can't find my gcb files in documents, or anything :( getting somewhere though.

• stan cartwright

I right clicked syn.exe and chose open with wine but the ide can't find my gcb files.

• stan cartwright

In mint I found my gcb files and opened one with notepad and copied the text. Then I tried to paste it into the syn ide but wouldn't work.

• bed

bed - 2019-10-20

Stan, it's none of my business, but I'm still surprised that someone who actually gets along with Window and uses it on a daily basis installs Linux to run the Windows compiled program with wine in it.
    That you have to set the paths with winecfg is probably not clear to you. Try that.

Ps: Isn't this all a bit schizopren (forgive me)?

• stan cartwright

stan cartwright - 2019-10-20

Why do I bother with linux at all???
      I have a few raspberry pi units that use linux so to use them needs learning linux.
      The latest mint with cinammon ide is like using win 10 but runs faster on the same machine.
      Mint boots and shuts down much faster than win 10.
      Chrome opens in a second in mint, not 30 seconds like win 10.
      There's a software store option for same apps as win, like audacity.
      Getting gcb to run under linux is part of learning but if this was normal I wouldn't use linux at all.
      C is a popular programming language where it's common to compile from source code but even the rpi linux you don't have to do that often.

I normally use a win 7 laptop for gcb. I don't use mplab because I use arduino units more than pics. The pics I use are picaxe chips like 18f25k22.

Why do you use linux instead of win?

• Chris Roper

Chris Roper - 2019-10-20

I am not a Linux developer, and barley a linux user, but could we not compile GCBASIC to a portable Package format such as SNAP or AppImages ?
    That would get around having to recompile for every common Distro but may also highlight the lack of a portable IDE and open a new can of worms.

Cheers
    Chris

• Peter

Peter - 2019-10-20

If you can find an easily customisable, portable IDE that works for both Windows, Linux (and Mac?), and is actively being developed/maintained you could kill a few penguins with one stone.

• bed

bed - 2019-10-21

I did have an eye on snap. To big for me, I failed :-(
      creating a GCB.deb should be much easier, but this task is a bit complicated than simpla make a tar file. I'm sure I can manage it. I will take time to evaluate this. But my spare time is rare and a current gcb PIC Project of mine is at 80%, this must be done first.

• stan cartwright

stan cartwright - 2019-10-20

As a linux beginner I find downloading lots of apps easy,usually from the terminal. The rpi gui is functionally like mint but obviously not as good and takes a while for software to be ported but it would be something 3rd party on github that might need "building".
    gcb updates often and rebuilding every update would not be fun unless you're clever enough to write a script to automate it all.
    Thing is how many times has linux gcb downloaded. Sourceforge says.
    It would be nice to apt-get install gcb.
    I have never used the arduino ide but it seems lots of programs have to be "built" in c.
    There seems to be a thought that linux users are geeks and windows users are just users.

• bed

bed - 2019-10-21

:It would be nice to apt-get install gcb.
      I agree, see my answer above :-)

• stan cartwright

stan cartwright - 2019-10-21

I wouldn't worry Bed as linux users are a minority group for gcb...and in general, win rules pc world.
    Same for mac os. why is the hardware so expensive?
    Would I be correct to think most gcb users are using windows?
    Gcb, at first, seems pic orientated and the fact that it can program arduino isn't made a big deal but I think it is.
    There are many arduino users who like me using linux can copy and paste others code and get it working but don't understand what they're cutting and pasting. Learning c is not easy. Learning basic is easier??? If you got into "computers" in the 80's then they all came with basic.
    bbc micro,commodore 64,sinclair so some people learnt basic...not many though. That was 30+ years ago.
    Since those years, c++ has become the programming language to learn and use and in many ways being able to use linux has become a qualification if you want a job in IT.
    I digress, I'm happy with gcb win. Gcb linux was a newbie problem.
    Like you Bed, I have to get back to a project...it's a "pong" game for Evan but it's not really pong.
    In pong, the ball didn't go behind the bats. The example Evan sent me to code the ball does. Trickier.
    https://youtu.be/iTUm0fhmuks

• bed

bed - 2019-10-21

If you got into "computers" in the 80's then they all came with basic.
      bbc micro,commodore 64,sinclair so some people learnt basic...not many though. That was
      30+ years ago.

We are at the same age :-)

Last edit: bed 2019-10-21
    • Trev

Trev - 2019-10-22

Learning c is not easy. Learning basic is easier???

Learning C is relatively easy unless you are programming in Windows. I programmed a lot of C in DOS and various UNIX flavours, but failed miserably doing the same with Windows... until I discovered Delphi v1.00 in 1995 which really made it a trivial exercise to program in Pascal in Windows.

Today you can substitute Lazarus (IDE, cross-platform graphical components) and the Free Pascal Compiler for Delphi and program graphical applications in Windows, Linux, FreeBSD and macOS without spending a dime.

If you got into "computers" in the 80's then they all came with basic.
      bbc micro,commodore 64,sinclair so some people learnt basic...

Mine was a Commodore VIC-20 which I programmed in CBM BASIC and then 6502 machine code before an assembler was available. We're all of an age ;-)

• stan cartwright

stan cartwright - 2019-10-22

I tried Delphi when it became free years ago. It seemed similar to Basic. It compiled to an .exe file if I remember.

1 2 > >> (Page 1 of 2)