Menu

ME-25_Edit version crashing

Help
2024-05-14
2024-06-05
  • My ForgeName

My ForgeName - 2024-05-14

Hi,

since today, I’m a happy owner of a used BOSS ME-25 effects board. Loving my FxFloorBoard for Katana, first thing I did was downloading the latest ME-25_Edit Linux 64 bit version 20190710. I’m on the latest Ubuntu Studio version here.

Firing up “./ME-25-Edit” , I set “Midi in and out” to “ME-5 28:0” and get a connect. Everything works fine, but quite frequently the program crashes with this error message:

ALSA lib seq_hw.c:466:(snd_seq_hw_open) open /dev/snd/seq failed: Cannot allocate memory

MidiOutAlsa::initialize: error creating ALSA sequencer client object.

ALSA lib seq_hw.c:466:(snd_seq_hw_open) open /dev/snd/seq failed: Cannot allocate memory

MidiInAlsa::initialize: error creating ALSA sequencer client object.

terminate called after throwing an instance of 'RtMidiError'
    what(): MidiInAlsa::initialize: error creating ALSA sequencer client object.
    Aborted (core dumped)

Anything I can do, to get rid of this error? Thanks.

Last edit: My ForgeName 2024-05-14
    • gumtownbassman

gumtownbassman - 2024-05-16

Just posted an updated Linux version of ME-25-Edit
      I hope this one is working better with ALSA.
      https://sourceforge.net/projects/me-edit/files/

• gumtownbassman

gumtownbassman - 2024-05-16

Hi
    Congrats on the new ME-25.
    I will rebuild the Linux version with an updated midi i/o module and on a more recent system.
    Soon, pending on when my son will be off my computer so I can use it, instead of it being a Minecraft server ..lol..

• My ForgeName

My ForgeName - 2024-05-30

Hi and thanks for the new build. It appears to be working flawlessly.

One more thing to ask for. The spaces in the patch names on the list to the left and the field on top are replaces by rectangles, which makes it hard to read them. Maybe you will find the time to fix this as well, if your son gives you a minute on your computer? :-)

And I would like to thank you for your ongoing support for your software, even on older equipment. A fresh cup of coffee is beeing send your way.

By the way. I noticed that in the new BTS for the Katana 3, Boss implemented the free arrangement of effects. Appears, that someone is copying your brilliant ideas :-)

P.S.: I just noticed, that the rectangles also appear between each letter of a patch name in the list to the left. The behaviour in the top field sometimes is somewhat different. Sometimes showing the rectangles, sometimes not.

Last edit: My ForgeName 2024-05-30
    • gumtownbassman

gumtownbassman - 2024-06-01

try the latest, hot off the press, update today..
      ME-25-Edit
      I don't have an ME-25 anymore, so testing was a bit difficult, having to throw midi files at the editor to read patch names.
      Hopefully it is sorted, the squares viewed in the names was patch data a few bytes before the name.
      Good to go !!

• My ForgeName

My ForgeName - 2024-06-01

Downloaded and tested. Unfortunately the squares are still there. I attached a screenshot, so you can see what it looks like.

Bad news is, that the programm is also crashing again :-)

Plus I also noticed, that .syx files can't be loaded. Same is true for .tsl files that BTS saves. As a workaround I loaded these files in BTS, wrote them to the ME-25, opened ME-25-Edit and saved it as .m2l.

P.S.: Happy to do the testing for you.

Last edit: My ForgeName 2024-06-01
  • My ForgeName

My ForgeName - 2024-06-01

Just noticed, that the squares aren't visible in the Windows version. So it appears to be Linux specific.

• gumtownbassman

gumtownbassman - 2024-06-01

A new 20240602 2nd June version posted, hopefully fixed that issue once and for all.
      The ME-25 patch structure data is different from all other Boss devices, every second byte is a "00" (zero) and when read as text show as blocky squares.
      The .tsl type patch files were added to the ME-25 after the initial editor release, so I will address those at a later stage.

• My ForgeName

My ForgeName - 2024-06-02

Hi,
    the "square" issue is solved. Thanks for that!

However the programm is now still crashing again after a few clicks in the tree structure. That's been a bug you already fixed in the second last build, where you took care of a better ALSA support. May I ask for another "final" version, addressing this issue?

I'm fine with the .tsl/.syx support, as I found a way around it. You just might keep it on the back log, as it will make other users happy.

• gumtownbassman

gumtownbassman - 2024-06-02

Fingers crossed this time version 20240603 for ME-25-Edit now up !!
      :-)

• My ForgeName

My ForgeName - 2024-06-03

The best things come in threes :-)
    Everythings works perfectly. Thank you so much!

👍
    • gumtownbassman

gumtownbassman - 2024-06-05

AWESOME !!! Great to hear it is working well .
      Thanks for your help
      Cheers :-)