Menu

please don't autodetect vlan interfaces

2010-09-12
2013-03-05
  • Martijn Dekkers

Martijn Dekkers - 2010-09-12

I am using openvz and I am trying to add my virtual ethernet interfaces. Example interface name: veth201.0 - adding this as an interface in the openvz host yields "'veth201.0' looks like a name of a vlan interface but it does not match the name of parent interface 'eth0'"

I get a similar error when i want to add as a direct interface instead of a sub-interface.

In both cases I should have the option to ignore and continue, instead of blocking.

• Vadim Kurland

Vadim Kurland - 2010-09-12

the requirement of the vlan interface name matching parent interface comes from the way vconfig tool works. This tool does not allow me to create vlan interface with an arbitrary name such as "veth201.0", it only takes the name of the parent ethernet interface and vlan ID and creates interface with the name such as "eth0.201"

please run command "ip link show" on the machine, it will show all interfaces including veth vlan interfaces.

If you think this is a bug, please open bug report. The discussion forum is not necessarily attended regularly.