Menu

Is this really alive?

Darin
2000-10-13
2012-12-12
  • Darin

Darin - 2000-10-13

I use FTE constantly - OS/2, AIX, Linux, ... - but it's not *really* being updated, is it?  The author has kept this project very tiny - two developers (himself and one other) and neither is doing anything with it.

I'm almost frustrated enough to start my *own* project with this source code to allow others to develop it!

• Keith Nunn

Keith Nunn - 2000-10-13

I don't think so. At least not here. I've used FTE off and on for years on OS2 and Linux. An I haven't seen any real development in at least three years.

That said, it's pretty decent as it is. Mostly what it needs is some new syntax and indent files for things like PHP and Python.  Any volunteers?

Has anyone actually emailed the developer to see what his plans (if any) are?

kapn

• Darin

Darin - 2000-10-13

I've tried to contact the developer a few times.  When he was back in school, I got responses fairly quickly.  Nowadays, however, nothing.

I've made a number of changes which make parts of it more usable - even fixed a problem specific to AIX (where I use FTE alot!).  I spent yesterday creating the bmp's and icon so I could recompile it on OS/2.  A few additions/fixes to some of the configs ... all this stuff that could be used by others.  Plus OS/2 binaries with all changes...

<sigh>

• Darin

Darin - 2000-10-17

Well, it seems that CaptMark has given me developer access - you may (or may not) have noticed that I've started adding things - mostly bug fixes - into the code.  New features ... come later.  Bugs are easy to fix.  Just find the offending code and change it.  Features require a deeper understanding of the code.  Maybe CaptMark will join in the fun later - or at least let us know what he's up to.

(He gave me access without actually sending me email or anything.)

• Andreas Huber

Andreas Huber - 2002-12-17

Wonderfull news!

I love fte since i used it first time on OS/2.

I am waiting to see some new cool versions!

Thank you!
      Thiondar

• Trent Apted

Trent Apted - 2003-06-16

I just wanna say I think FTE is the king-shist of all editors.

Even if you ignore the benefits from it being mostly text based when using it over ssh/rlogin, I've still been dissatisfied with any other editor that's out there. This means that even when editing locally I use FTE.

It's amazing how few editors have indenting support at all [let alone as good as fte's].

Now all it needs is pre-parsing for code navigation and auto completion. I'll let people know when I've hacked it in :). Maybe I'll start with scope shading though..

• Hanzac Chen

Hanzac Chen - 2005-04-15

It's a cool editor, I like it very much.
      But I found few documents, many of its functionalities I don't know how to use it.

• Sergey Pinigin

Sergey Pinigin - 2005-07-08

Hi!

It's a cool editor, I like it !

I use FTE constantly - OS/2,  Windows for 5 years.

Thank you!

• Bagnara

Bagnara - 2011-08-27

Hi folks!

I love FTE. I used it since my OS/2 era of 1997 until 2002.

Nowadays I use Windows Seven and even until today, FTE rules.

Dont forget to make updates for Windows also. =)))

s
    Apometron