Menu

How to Loft Large Scale Plans wo/plates

Users
TNowacoski
2006-12-30
2013-04-19
  • TNowacoski

TNowacoski - 2006-12-30

I am sure this has been answered before and please forgive my ignorance.  I am just starting out with boat hull design and FreeShip in general.  I have read several books on both traditional and Stitch and Glue hull construction.  I would like to test what I have learned so far by building a 3ft model of the sample Tug boat hull from FreeShip.  Now I only have access to an 8 1/2" x 11" printer so full sized Plates printer will not work for me.  What would be the best way to take either the Linesplan or Offset export and loft these to real scale size?  Thanks!

• Bob Danforth

Bob Danforth - 2008-02-08

To build a 3 foot model you could easily pack the developments as small as possible, export it to dxf and take it to your local architectural supplier. The price is not cheap, perhaps $10 or so max, but in the scheme of things not a great expense. this trick will not work of course on anything much bigger than 3 feet

For anything real size there are CNC machines that can cut out material as big as material is available to cut out. If you get caught having to work the old fashioned way the developments have the specific numbers as each part passes through specified stations, so you just find those points on your material with a ruler and square and just connect the dots.