Milavon
2015-11-22
2015-11-25
1 2 > >> (Page 1 of 2)
  • Milavon

Milavon - 2015-11-22

Hi Dimitry, thanks for your nice work on 1.5.x

I have some remarks on the New Freeplane 1.5.1:

• I noticed that (Folding and Unfolding Actions) are added to the (Undo) list in this 1.5.1,
      before that: folding & folding actions were not included in (Undo) which was a better option for me I think.
      Because, the Folding / Unfolding action does not make a any real change / modification to the map, (it is only a part of reading process) (such as turning a page in a book, it does not involve any action)
      Also,it will cause the user a lot of unnecessary (undo) moves to get to a (previous status / modification).
      I hope At least, you can give the user a choice in preferences to NOT include (folding/unfolding) in the (undo) actions.

• I'm concerned that the New graphical features available in 1.5.1 may reduce the speed, performance of Freeplane in processing the large maps. (because excessive formatting may require more resources to load / display)

I prefer for Freeplane to be a lightweight / Simple Program as possible, focusing more on efficiency, durabilty, ability to handle a huge content, rather than
    appearance & formatting.

For those who care a lot about Appearance, Graphics,.. , They can go to Xmind, it is full of colors & decoration.
    However, these rich Features come at expense of its performance: (it is relatively slow & heavy& CANNOT handle a map with 1000 node or more)
    because it focus more on the appearance features not in durabilty & efficiency when handling a big content

I think that the main advantage of Freeplane is its strong performance, where you can smoothly dealing with a huge maps
    (I can open a maps with 150,000 nodes or more without any problem). All you need to do is just to increase your RAM to fit the map size.

I hope that all these changes does not affect its durability

I also wish that you to always keep the traditional version of Freeplane available (A Lightweight Version alongside with the new (J.Batista) Version)
    for the users who don't care about appearance or forrmatting, but Just want to have just a simple clean, uncluttered map with minimum / moderate formatting. (as traditional Freeplane used to)

Thanks

Last edit: Milavon 2015-11-22
    • Miguel Boyer

Miguel Boyer - 2015-11-22

I basically support this point of view. Specially when the formatting of
      text INSIDE nodes is not that strong and fast, in either normal editing or
      Symply HTML, and you don't have many shortcuts to do that.

• Miguel Boyer

Miguel Boyer - 2015-11-22

Oh, well, if no loss of performance is involved, then we can't complain,
        right?
        El 22/11/2015 18:33, "Miguel Boyer" miguelboyer2@gmail.com escribió:

I basically support this point of view. Specially when the formatting of
        text INSIDE nodes is not that strong and fast, in either normal editing or
        Symply HTML, and you don't have many shortcuts to do that.

• Jonas

Jonas - 2015-11-22

Hi Milavon, check out this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARWmnmfEnxI

I'm working in the complete 40 videos with one minute each to show a different approach after 11 Years research.

I think there is some issues going on cos there's this new Preview Version without somewhere show how to use.

I you or anyone want contact me and I will be pleased to show you a new pedagogy approach that helps to manage huge amount of knowledge, or even any amount.

Why go to work by horse if we can go by car ? Or by airplane ?

There is many different approaches that helps to deal with information.

In few weeks there will be videos about it on Freeplane Youtube Channel but if you want I can show you before that many interesting points, always grounded on Pedagogy Field.

Even after showing to you this new approach you don't like it you can set any configurations you want and use it in your own way.

Regards,
      Jonas.

• Jonas

Jonas - 2015-11-22

jonasbsjr@gmail.com

• Dimitry Polivaev

In 1.5.1 folding is undoable when and only when folding state is saved. It is consistent, isn't it?
      May be another option is not needed, is it?

• Jonas

Jonas - 2015-11-22

Hello Again Milavon ans Hello Dimitry.

Depending how deep someone use Freeplane is really useful keep Fold and Unfolding action Undoable.

Me and Everyone I know had many problems and Lost of Hard Work When it wasn't possible.

There is some features like Hold Alt and Scroll the mouse that will bring big troubles is these actions are not Undoable, there is others features.

I would be truly happy to show you the best way to manage this new features and new standard.

The goal is to make the process of Knowledge Easier and Faster, as easy and fast as possible.

And I know that there is developers checking it with close attention to supply all issues like the performance Issue you pointed out in your first message.

I got 500 pages maps, I used to have 1.000 pages map but on Freemind, and it just made freemind crash then I started splitting maps.

The thing is, there is many differente scientific solutions each of these issues that you are pointing out and I'm willing to show the best way for dealing with it.

Cheers and Best Regards.
        Jonas.

• Volker Börchers

As there are three options for saving folding state (never, ever and on other map changes) it's a bit difficult to map that to undoable folding changes. I have selected save folding on map changes but I'd prefer undoable folding.

If you add an option it should have a default that is sensibly related to the "save folding state" option in some way.

Volker

• Dimitry Polivaev

Hi, thank you for your post.
    Freeplane performance is not likely to decrease because of the new options.
    I want to implement a new user preference option for including the folding in undo/redo chain.

Regards

• Dimitry Polivaev

What do you mean by "traditional" vs " J. Batista" Freeplane version?
    With the new Freeplane version you are still able to use your old standard template.
    The new template is set as default but you can change it back.

• Dimitry Polivaev

Have you got any performance issues with new version?

• Carlos

Carlos - 2015-11-22

I'm not experiencing any performance problem whatsoever. By the way, thank you very much for the latest node shapes, Dimitry. Freeplane is essentially a visual tool, like any mind mapping software. So those new visual enhancements are very welcome.

• Jonas

Jonas - 2015-11-22

Hey carlos,

Send me some way where I can Contact you, I'm really passionate with this idea.

I've been using and reseaching about it for the last 11 years.

I also got a Pedagogy Thesis about:

1. Mind Maps
      2. IT solutions
      3. Scietific Metodology

It's always a pleasure talk to Mind Map Experts.

I can stay talking about this for whole day long.

Cheers and Best Regards,
      Jonas.

Last edit: Jonas 2015-11-22
      • Carlos

Carlos - 2015-11-24

Hi, Jonas. I sent an email to you.

• Milavon

Milavon - 2015-11-22

Hi, Thanks Dirmitry, Miguel, Jonas, for all your replies.

Sorry, if I misunderstood your announcement: (Jonas Batista Freeplane Version), I was confused. but Now I realize it is just changes in the template. & everything can get back to the old template.

with regard to folding:
    folding is always undoable when creating a new map, before the map is saved.
    It is up to you to decide if another option is needed, but I strongly recommend to have such option.

Jonas,
    I watched the video & looking forward to see more, I completely agree it is a professional approach, Specially for learning & tutorial porposes. I liked it. It enables the user to be more focused, concentrated on the content.
    The idea of (Trigger words: 1 word per node with text centralized) is very nice, it may consume a lot of nodes, having to divide the long sentences into single words across the map. but is OK

Also:
    - I'm happy that the idea of ribbons is abandoned in this version, it saved a lot of workspace for the user.

• It would be nice if the encryption algorithm has been enhanced (with a stronger one instead of the current "PBEWithMD5AndDES" algorithm, maybe Something like AES and SHA256/SHA512 algorithm will guarantee that encryption is more secure.

Anyway, this new version is very excellent & with many nice features.
    Nice work Dimitry
    Thanks

• sfpcom

sfpcom - 2015-11-22

Nice evolution. Compliments!
    I have an issue:
    Usually I activate your new versions immediately to manage my normal maps.
    In this case (1.5.1 alpha pre 04) I cannot because it is not possible to read the node attributes (the attributes area is black) Do you experience a-like? Or I'm setting wrongly the new version of my current maps? Any suggestion?
    Second point: I discovered not to be able to change the format of the attributes style, may you give me a tip?
    Thanks
    sfpc

• Quinbus

Quinbus - 2015-11-23

One observation with the new version which perhaps may actually have been present before but I'm just now noticing. Attribute text is very tiny in my installation. Even though attributes are associated with nodes that are set at a width of 200, the attribute size in minimized to the smallest possible width and font size in both the visble presentation associated with the node and the attribute display in the propoerties panel. I know that we have the option in preferences to change the default width of the attribute key and value. Is there some way we can change the default font as well?

I like the new presentation very much. Thanks for your continued work!

Q!

• sfpcom

sfpcom - 2015-11-24

I join the issue posted by Quinbus.
    Here below I post my actual attributes area. I ask for suggestions?
    Thanks

• Dimitry Polivaev

spfcom, please submit a map. I can not see the problem here

• sfpcom

sfpcom - 2015-11-24

Hi Dimitry, just some minutes ago I discovered that with the new version (1.5.1 alpha pre 04) I have an issue with attributes filter (there was a message to submit the errors and I sent to), basically when I activate a filter the map has been blocked and partially visualized. I need to go with ctrl+alt+del, terminate java and re-open freeplane to continue.
    Here below I attached
    1) the png with the visualization of my attributes (as you see a black box (but only in visualization mode) you see what happens with node fhfhfhf
    2) the map to which it was referred point 1)

Here below the report of the errors:

at 2015-11-24 10:31:14 CMT, hash e6e281978f088318eaae417ed2e875dd
    previous report : at 2015-11-24 10:05:19 CMT, hash 489b655abfdbc40260e53556f874b931
    freeplane_version = 1.5.1 alpha; freeplane_xml_version = freeplane 1.5.0
    bzr revision = bfa52ac_DimitryPolivaev_2015-11-221434340100
    java_version = 1.8.0_31; os_name = Windows 8.1; os_version = 6.3
    Exception in thread "AWT-EventQueue-0"
    java.lang.NullPointerException
    at org.freeplane.view.swing.map.NodeViewLayoutAdapter.setUp(NodeViewLayoutAdapter.java:169)
    at org.freeplane.view.swing.map.NodeViewLayoutAdapter.layoutContainer(NodeViewLayoutAdapter.java:120)
    at org.freeplane.view.swing.map.SelectableLayout.layoutContainer(SelectableLayout.java:40)
    at java.awt.Container.layout(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.Container.doLayout(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.Container.validateTree(Unknown Source)
    at org.freeplane.view.swing.map.NodeView.validateTree(NodeView.java:1486)
    at org.freeplane.view.swing.map.NodeViewLayoutAdapter.setUp(NodeViewLayoutAdapter.java:163)
    at org.freeplane.view.swing.map.NodeViewLayoutAdapter.layoutContainer(NodeViewLayoutAdapter.java:120)
    at org.freeplane.view.swing.map.SelectableLayout.layoutContainer(SelectableLayout.java:40)
    at java.awt.Container.validate(Unknown Source)
    at org.freeplane.view.swing.map.NodeViewLayoutAdapter.preferredLayoutSize(NodeViewLayoutAdapter.java:143)
    at org.freeplane.view.swing.map.SelectableLayout.preferredLayoutSize(SelectableLayout.java:48)
    at java.awt.Container.preferredSize(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.Container.getPreferredSize(Unknown Source)
    at javax.swing.JComponent.getPreferredSize(Unknown Source)
    at org.freeplane.view.swing.map.MindMapLayout.preferredLayoutSize(MindMapLayout.java:87)
    at org.freeplane.view.swing.map.MapView.getPreferredSize(MapView.java:724)
    at javax.swing.ScrollPaneLayout.layoutContainer(Unknown Source)
    at org.freeplane.view.swing.map.MapViewScrollPane.doLayout(MapViewScrollPane.java:169)
    at javax.swing.RepaintManager$3.run(Unknown Source)
    at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
    at java.security.ProtectionDomain$1.doIntersectionPrivilege(Unknown Source)
    at javax.swing.RepaintManager.validateInvalidComponents(Unknown Source)
    at javax.swing.RepaintManager$ProcessingRunnable.run(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.event.InvocationEvent.dispatch(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.EventQueue.access$500(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.EventQueue$3.run(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(Unknown Source)
    at org.freeplane.view.swing.map.NodeViewLayoutAdapter.setUp(NodeViewLayoutAdapter.java:169)
    at org.freeplane.view.swing.map.NodeViewLayoutAdapter.setUp(NodeViewLayoutAdapter.java:163)
    at org.freeplane.view.swing.map.NodeViewLayoutAdapter.preferredLayoutSize(NodeViewLayoutAdapter.java:143)
    at org.freeplane.view.swing.map.SelectableLayout.preferredLayoutSize(SelectableLayout.java:48)
    at org.freeplane.view.swing.map.MindMapLayout.preferredLayoutSize(MindMapLayout.java:87)

• sfpcom

sfpcom - 2015-11-24

What is the "Post awaiting moderation" message? Have I lost the message contents?
    Here below the errors report when I try to filter my map (freepane has been blocked)
    at 2015-11-24 10:31:50 CMT, hash 53f0f2a4c4cfbd949b67863a596b0ba3
    previous report : at 2015-11-24 10:31:14 CMT, hash e6e281978f088318eaae417ed2e875dd
    java_version = 1.8.0_31; os_name = Windows 8.1; os_version = 6.3
    at org.freeplane.view.swing.map.MapViewScrollPane.doLayout(MapViewScrollPane.java:169)

• sfpcom

sfpcom - 2015-11-24

just a note: currently I'm using windows 10

• Dimitry Polivaev

fixed

• sfpcom

sfpcom - 2015-11-24

Nice

• Milavon

Milavon - 2015-11-24

Hi Dimitry,

I encountered a new bug, when I select a node & tried to use: Filter > Filter Selected Node
    the map freezes completely, you can ask if you need me to upload the map

Here is the bug report:
    at 2015-11-24 16:16:04 CMT, hash 489b655abfdbc40260e53556f874b931
    previous report : no reports sent before
    java_version = 1.8.0_65; os_name = Windows 7; os_version = 6.1
    at java.security.ProtectionDomain$JavaSecurityAccessImpl.doIntersectionPrivilege(Unknown Source)
    at java.security.ProtectionDomain$JavaSecurityAccessImpl.doIntersectionPrivilege(Unknown Source)

1 2 > >> (Page 1 of 2)