Menu

FreeMind's biggest advantage is simplicity!

2020-04-19
2020-04-19
  • Wiesław Bełz

Wiesław Bełz - 2020-04-19

FreeMind's biggest advantage is simplicity.
    The fact that the program and what it offers in the scenario of its solutions is simple, essentially linear and one-dimensional. For initial activities, we do not have to think about which template to choose, which variant of the solution (what is a „handicap” of other, more advanced programs). We have a simple action at our disposal: we create a mother (core), then we implant subsequent branches in elementary, simple way (usually I do it using the "insert" key). Creating a first map by beginner does not pose too many difficulties. The basic design of FreeMind is uncontroversial, maybe a bit harsh, but with some advancement, at further stages of the map you can color, add icons, emoticons, photos, connections. In this basic version of the map software, we have everything that is needed to build maps efficiently (it should be remembered that the "target group" of this software category are creative people, seekers, attackers of problems). Too many ready-made, divergent possibilities, „fountains”, options that basically only programmers can use, it will not be an advantage, but a limitation, an irritating factor.

I have been using FM since 2009. I created hundreds of maps. This is my base tool. Whatever I do, whether I write - a letter, a speech, an article, a paper, a business offer, I start from an initial map. Sometimes I develop it to a fairly large size, the first order branches have ten or more legs, the second several dozen, the third and further branches, much, much more. Individual "speech bubbles" are often elaborate texts, counting a thousand or more characters (I know that it is incompatible with the "catechism” of database prophet :) ). I color my advanced maps, I try to make them look attractive, so that at a glance you can read the basic idea of the project, "what the poet was all about".

And what next? I export them to a text editor (option, in my opinion underdeveloped), or / and export to pdf (there are also some problems). And I send! To co-workers, decision makers, clients, potential principals, friends and completely unfamiliar people. Maps are impressive, especially if they are polished, visually appealing, and contain deep content.

How about the pickup? Differently, some people are confused, some annoy (yes!), sometimes they are treated as daze, eccentricity, some exempt (morally :) ) from reading the content. Yes, map communication for many people is still (where we live!) eccentricity. And that's why such an elementary version of the software, free of charge, without creating barriers at the start, is very much needed.

FreeMind breaks popularity records. It has a good name (it's important), it's free, easy to install, stable, easy to master. Develop it as it is today!
    Wiesław Bełz
    Poland, Katowice

• Nick Busigin

Nick Busigin - 2020-04-19

I agree with you whole-heartedly! I am a long-time FreeMind user and it has for a long time been an essential part of how I do my work and how I organize my thoughts and keep track of a great deal of technical information and ideas.

Nick
    Stratford, Ontario
    Canada

❤️
  • Vincent Pernoia

Vincent Pernoia - 2021-04-26
    Post awaiting moderation.