Menu

Feature: Export map to plain text

jacwah
2014-01-29
2014-02-15
  • jacwah

jacwah - 2014-01-29

I've had this idea for some time, to be able to export any mind map to a plaintext file. Every node's text content is separated with a newline, and childs are indented with tabs. This could be useful for processing maps with generic text processors such as grep, awk or sed. I've made a simple proof-of-concept implementation of it. I was thinking to create an import feature too.

Obviously lots of data is lost in this convertion because no metadata like fonts, colors or weight and other type of nodes containing eg images are included. One could include at least some of this data in the output file with additional markup, but the simplicity would be lost. And simplicity is kind of the whole point of it.

Because newlines and tabs have special meaning they'll have to be escaped somehow. I don't have any suggestions on this though. Could look at how others have done it.

I just uploaded my alpha code to a github repo. A disclaimer: I haven't really written much Java before, and never made an open source contribution.

• jacwah

jacwah - 2014-02-03

I was hoping for some kind of feedback on this post, but maybe the project isn't very active anymore.

• jacwah

jacwah - 2014-02-04

Oh, well nevermind then. Thanks for the tip.

• Christian Foltin

Hi,

should I nevertheless integrate your functionality? IOW: is there a use case, where it is better to have this explicit export?

Br, Chris