Menu

How to start an actual translation?

Roma Kovac
2003-05-06
2003-05-09
  • Roma Kovac

Roma Kovac - 2003-05-06

I have installed ForeingDesk without any problems. However, when I want to start translating and open a new project, I cannot see any files I want to translate. Do they have to be in a special folder or format? Even if I change format of file to plain text or rtf, I cannot see them anywhere. What am I not doing correcly?

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2003-05-07

Hello,

To create a new project you should use the FDPA (Foreign Desk Project Assistant), which is a wizard that lets you specify the location of your input files.

When you specify a directory with your input files, be sure that the directory doesn't contain any extraneous files, but rather only contains the files to be translated.  Unfortunately FDPA has a tendency to crash if everything isn't specified perfectly.

• Roma Kovac

Roma Kovac - 2003-05-07

Thank you for reply. I have following problem: every time I want to create a new project using FDPA, I get this  error message: "Run-time error "430" Class does not support Automation or does not support expected interface". Is there anything I can do with it?

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2003-05-08

Hmm, sorry I don't know why that is happening.  I'd suggest trying both the production version and the beta version of Foreigndesk.  Maybe one of them works and one doesn't.

Also, if you do the simplest test case of all (no files in the project), does it still fail?

• Roma Kovac

Roma Kovac - 2003-05-09

Yes,
      it fails every time. When I run FDPA, then klick on New Project and klick next: then error message appears and that is the end of my effort. Are there any special system requirements for ForeignDesk?
      I will try the lastest version and see, what happens.

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2003-05-09

Ah, I see.  Yes, I get the same problem.  It was working a month ago and I haven't updated Foreigndesk.  Therefore, I suspect it is something from windows-update that was automatically installed on my computer.

I will try to take a look on Monday but I can't guarantee anything.

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2003-05-09

In the meantime, you can create the project from the "ForeignDesk ITE" application.

After creating a new (empty) project, copy your files to translate into the _NewUS directory,and your ODL file into the _FileInfo directory.  (Then restart "Foreigndesk ITE")