Menu

Porting GT.M to (Intel) OS X?

Developers
Chuck Link
2006-05-28
2012-12-29
  • Chuck Link

Chuck Link - 2006-05-28

I'm looking at porting GT.M to Apple's OS X.  OS X is BSD Unix under the covers and the latest Macs now use the Intel CPUs (i386).

So, I need to ask...

1. Is it possible?  Without recompiling binaries?

2. I have a Mac Mini (Intel).  I installed SUSE (virtually, via Parallels) and installed the latest GT.M.  I then copied the resulting GT.M directory from SUSE to OS X.  Is that good enough to get started?

3. Any other help and/or push in the right direction would be greatly appreciated!

4. FWIW: I was hoping to get lucky by trying variations of the make command as shown in the README file.  It always ends with "*** No rule to make target `pro_all', needed by `all'.  Stop."

TIA,
    Chuck

• K.S. Bhaskar

K.S. Bhaskar - 2006-05-28

Chuck --

The GT.M binaries at Source Forge are reported to run just fine on FreeBSD on x86.  Have you tried running them?  Let's try the latest binaries first native on OS X and then worry about re-building.

What happens if you simply try installing the binaries on OS X?

Also, I would check on Apple forums about running Linux binaries on OS X.  Supposedly for FreeBSD, there is a standard shared library that allows this to happen.

Regards
      -- Bhaskar

• Chuck Link

Chuck Link - 2006-05-29

I tried the install.  Geteuid will not see me as root.  Bypassing that call let configure run but only gave me a bunch of these:

chown: bin: Invalid argument
      install: bin: Invalid argument

So I tried running the binaries I had copied over.  BSD doesn't seem to want to execute mumps (as in 'mumps -direct').

• K.S. Bhaskar

K.S. Bhaskar - 2006-05-31

I wouldn't expect it to run out of the box.  There is likely to be a library that allows Linux binaries to run on OS X.  Ask in the OSX development forums.

-- Bhaskar

• Chuck Link

Chuck Link - 2006-05-31

Bhaskar,

Any chance that any of those the folks who've reported GT.M to run just fine on FreeBSD would be willing to describe how they did it?

Thanks,
      Chuck

• K.S. Bhaskar

Chuck --

I'll get you in touch with them offline.

-- Bhaskar

• K.S. Bhaskar

Here is a quote from the person who reported success:

I simply installed FreeBSD using the "minimal" install and installed
        the Linux compatiability port. All is good on FreeBSD front.

-- Bhaskar