Menu

Environment variables that should be aliases?

Help
LD Landis
2000-10-06
2000-10-06
  • LD Landis

LD Landis - 2000-10-06

Hi,

I have found the following in the environment variables
      defined in the gtmprofile which I believe should be
      aliases instead... is this correct?

dse=...
       gde=...
       gtm=...
       lke=...
      and
       mupip=...

Cheers,
        --ldl

• K.S. Bhaskar

K.S. Bhaskar - 2000-10-06

Actually, you can do pretty much what you want with regard to environment variables, aliases, etc.  Since our focus has been primarily on VARs rather than end users, our scripts tend merely to be starting points for customization.  Also, some of what you see is a difference between other Ms, which tend to be integrated, interpreted, environments, and GT.M, which is a compiler along the lines of languages such as C (even in the direct mode prompt, "mumps -dir" under the covers, each line is compiled to native machine code and then executed).

Thus, for example, you can alias gde to "mumps -run GDE".  You can also invoke it with "d ^GDE" from inside GT.M, assuming that you have $gtmroutines set correctly.

In the case of aliases vs. environment names, I agree with you that aliases make more sense.  The environment variables would be more appropriate if someone wanted, say, to invoke mupip as $mupip.  Feel free to set it up the environment so that GT.M works for you.  Those of us who work at Sanchez have set up our individual preferences, and probably aren't in tune with the "out of the box" defaults.

-- Bhaskar