Menu

Space requirements for journalling

Help
2003-07-26
2003-07-29
  • Mark Lamoreaux

Mark Lamoreaux - 2003-07-26

Hi,

I've been testing with GT.M on Linux for a while now and have been very pleased with its capabilities.  I now want to setup a production machine with journalling enabled on a separate partition/drive.  I haven't made use of journalling as of yet and couldn't find any references to how much space it typically requires.  Are there any good guidelines for determining how much space to allocate for journalling (i.e. same as DB size, double DB, half DB, etc.)?

Thanks,
    Mark

• Edwin Clubb

Edwin Clubb - 2003-07-28

I think you will only be able to determine your space requirements after some experimentation.  Normal (after-image) journalling only reflects updates to the database and is not related to database size.  However, I think that before-image journalling is affected by database page size  -- the larger the page size, the more disk space will be consumed by the journal file.

If your database will be updated frequently and you enable before-image journalling, be prepared to allocate plenty of space for your journals.  We are replicating our production system which requires before-image journalling and we have been averaging around 1.2Gb of journal per day.

Ed

• Mark Lamoreaux

Mark Lamoreaux - 2003-07-29

Thanks.  I'll run some tests and post my results.