Menu

Please add to update-finance-quote a dep

2002-10-21
2002-11-04
  • David Babcock

David Babcock - 2002-10-21

Trying to find the correct place to post this. GnuCash says that the script Update-Finance-Quote comes with Finance::Quote Perl module I believe.

Finance::Quote will not run unless ' libwww-perl ' is installed.
    I wrote a bug report on this at Gentoo, but I think possibly adding a line to the Update-Finance-Quote saying that need to install libwww-perl might be very helpful.

The first time I installed GnuCash, then Finance::Quote all it did was fail to install, nothing about the dep not being met.

I know it is a lot harder to check if the libwww was install than to add a line in the script saying it needs to be there.

Could something be done on this front?

Thanks.

• Paul Fenwick

Paul Fenwick - 2002-10-21

You're absolutely right, finance-quote won't run unless libwww-perl is installed.  If you're installing Finance::Quote from CPAN, or unpacking and building the tarball, this should be checked for automatically (along with HTML::TableExtract, which some modules use).

Update-Finance-Quote doesn't come with the Finance::Quote package, although it obviously does rely upon it.  I don't think that it needs to have a note to say that you need libwww-perl installed.  Rather, I think that you simply shouldn't be able to install FInance::Quote without meeting *its* dependancies.

In whichever distribution you're using, GnuCash should *suggest* Finance::Quote (not everyone needs on-line lookups), but Finance::Quote *depends upon* libwww-perl (and HTML::TableExtract).

All the best,

Paul

• David Babcock

David Babcock - 2002-10-21

Okay, they just seem to imply or I read it wrong that the Update script came with Finance::Quote package.

"< Rather, I think that you simply shouldn't be able to install Finance::Quote without meeting *its* dependancies >"

So how do we deal with this. I am guessing notifying GnuCash, would their discussion group be the best place to put this? Or would this 'really' be considered a bug. I hate to make extra work for the developers by posting things that aren't bugs.

• David Babcock

David Babcock - 2002-10-29

Well, no luck. I wrote the GnuCash developers. Had a lively discussion. They seem to agree that something needed to be done. Was looking for the best way. Then a couple days later, when I didn't hear anymore. I wrote back to see if could figure that it was going to be taken care of. I got these replies:

<i>Note that "update-finance-quotes" will update Finance::Quote and in the process auto-install libwww-perl.  Unless you are being confused with "finance-quote-helper" (which is the helper app that Gnucash calls to get quotes)?</i>

and

<i>If Finance::Quotes depends on libwww-perl, then
      CPAN::SHell->install('Finance::Quote');
      should pull it in the Finance::Quote CPAN dependencies. This is not a Gnucash bug.</i>

The problem is that that line is already in update-finance-quotes and it doesn't do it.  Unless they have fixed the dependencies at CPAN. Which I would probably run into the same roadblock as at Gnucash.

Looks like it is up to the user to figure out that a package is missing and what it is.

• Paul Fenwick

Paul Fenwick - 2002-11-01

Fixing dependancies on the CPAN side of things is definitely my issue.  However to the best of my knowledge (and testing), doing an install from CPAN will pull in the dependancies for you (or complain loudly if you refuse).

Is there any chance I could get from you:

* Operating system and version.
           * GnuCash package type (rpm, tarball, deb) and version.
           * If you managed to get Finance::Quote installed without libwww, then the F::Q package type and version numbers as well.
           * Guidelines on how to reproduce the problem.

It appears that the Debian package may not be being built with the libwww-perl dependancy, so I suspect it's an OS specific packaging issue, rather than a CPAN or GnuCash issue.

All the best,

Paul

• David Babcock

David Babcock - 2002-11-04

GnuCash Package type: ebuild  version 1.6.8
      F::Q - got from CPAN via update-finance-quotes, so Gentoo show it isn't installed, but works. version 1.07

ie. Ebuild is just a script to build the package from the sources.

How to reproduce: I just installed gnucash with: emerge gnucash, then ran the update-finance-quotes script. I could try to reinstall, but I don't want to on this system since I have it working and all my stuff in there. So if that is a problem. I guess I will add to problem to my website and write that libwww-perl needs to be installed if it doesn't do it for you.

Thanks, Dave