Menu

Question

2000-07-13
2000-07-14
  • Shane Staats

Shane Staats - 2000-07-13

Hello, I've never used modules very much before so I'm a bit lost.  When I call the scripts in telnet information is printed out correctly. But how do I get it to print on a static web page?  I'd like to be able to display currency quotes on a page, can you give me a hand?  Do you know of any other scripts that work with this module?

Thank You,
    Shane

• Paul Fenwick

Paul Fenwick - 2000-07-14

Finance::Quote is a module/library, and so it has a programming interface rather than a user interface.  A few people have written software which uses the library to print information to a web-page, one of these is getstockquote (http://www.27.org/getstockquote/).  I'd recommend that you be cautious about redistributing information obtained using the Finance::Quote module or getstockquote script, as it may break some of the licenses placed upon the information.  For personal use, almost anything is okay.

It should be possible to display currency quotes by fetching "xxxyyy=X" from the yahoo source, where "xxx" is the currency you're coming from, and "yyy" is the currency you're converting to.  Hence, "AUDUSD=X" would fetch the currency rate from Australian to US dollars.  If you're using the source from the CVS tree, there's also a currency function you can call.

Hope that all this helps,

Paul