Menu

What constitutes commercial use?

2001-08-22
2001-09-30
  • Ralf Kotowski

Ralf Kotowski - 2001-08-22

Hi,
    I'm developing a web site for a company, it is mainly there to keep their stock holders informed.

I use the slaschcode as a base and I wanted to add some functionality to the site and write a stock portofolio tracker.

So I'm really wondering now what constitutes commercial use? do they charge their users for services? NO. Do they make money of advertising? Not at the moment.

Yahoo terms of use expressly forbid the resale of any content from their site...

So I'm wondering if I could even use F::Q to do what I want to do.

On another note, how many users uf F::Q are there, if there are enough I may be able to get this company to get the data from reuters and then make it available via F::Q to others as long as that company gets credit for it.

• Paul Fenwick

Paul Fenwick - 2001-08-24

Unless Yahoo's terms and conditions have changed recently, they forbid redistribution of stock quotes provided by them.  So downloading and dropping the quotes in your accounting package or stock-ticker is fine, no redistribution there.  Throwing them on your webpage, well, I think you'd be hard-pressed to claim that you're NOT redistributing.

If in doubt, talk to Yahoo.  If you're just grabbing a single stock and displaying it, then they might not have a problem with you doing it, or they might charge you a nominal fee for the privilege.

As for F::Q users, I have no idea.  I expect most people grab their source off CPAN, so expect when people write back with thank-yous, or (more often) bugs, it's very difficult to tell who is using the software and how.

Having F::Q handle a reuters feed has been spoken about a few times, but since such a feed costs money, no such module has yet been developed.  If you do end up going with a reuters feed and write a module to let F::Q read it, I'd be most interested in including it with the standard distribution.

Cheers,

Paul

• Ralf Kotowski

Ralf Kotowski - 2001-09-30

We are thinking of getting either a reuters feed or DTN, money permitting (its all about the benjamins), so if we ever get there I'll let you know.