Menu

Windows install?

2000-11-14
2000-11-15
  • Bob Fillmore

Bob Fillmore - 2000-11-14

I'm having problems installing this module on Windows 98 with ActivePerl 5.6 -
    has anyone created a .ppd version so that PPM can be used for the install?
    Thanks,
       Bob Fillmore

• Charles Lynn Walls

I didn't find a PPM install either.  But I got it to run with ActivePerl 5.6 on a Windows 98 system
      by simply expanding the tar-ball with WinZip into a temporary folder, preserving the directory
      structure...and then just moving everything (subdirs and files) whoesale from the tar-ball's /lib/ subdir
      over to \perl\site\lib.

This will create the Finance folder under \perl\site\lib\ (if you don't already have one) and everything
      else falls into place.

Of course, you must have "LWP::UserAgent", "HTTP::Request::Common", and "HTML::TableExtract" already installed before Finance::Quote will work...but they are no problem either.

Also, it is a little more effort  to get the verification tests to work.  Personally, I did not bother with them -- I just used my own tests for the things I was interested in (all from Yahoo USA) and the only problem I ran into was occassional dropped data for very large lists of symbols.

Because of this problem, I am not using the package right now.  But it seems to me that you could break large lists up into successive calls with smaller lists -- but I think I'll just wait for the Finance::Quote fix.

Lynn Walls

• Paul Fenwick

Paul Fenwick - 2000-11-14

The problems with failures and large Yahoo lookups have been fixed in Finance::Quote 1.04.  (You can look at bug number 121577 in our bug-tracking system if you want to see the hows and whys.)  Every 40th symbol was being dropped due to an incorrect bit of logic in how we grouped symbols into blocks.
        If you find that it's still dropping symbols (or is dropping symbols in another method), then please let me know/post a bug report.

I've had some reports about nmake working well with the installation, but I haven't verified this myself one way or the other.

I'm not strong on the windows side of perl.  If you can point me in the direction of some notes on a PPM install, I'll see what I can do.

Cheers,

Paul

• Bob Fillmore

Bob Fillmore - 2000-11-15

Thanks, I now have it working (thanks to tip from Lynn Walls).
          I think the proper fix for this has to come from ActiveState- they need to fix the CPAN module.

I have a couple of suggestions for future versions:
             - the ticker symbol should be case insensitive (or the docs should stress upper-case)
             - I am used to using the $hash{$a}{$b} syntax for two-dimensional hashes, but this
               does not work with Finance::Quote - you have to use $hash{$a,$b}.
               Not sure why this is, but it would be nice if the module could support both.

- Bob

• Paul Fenwick

Paul Fenwick - 2000-11-15

The $hash{$a}{$b} syntax is more flexible and commonly used, and is in fact what I'm used to myself.  The reason fro the $hash{$a,$b} notation is mainly for historical reasons.

There's nothing to say that we can't support $hash{$a}{$b} notation as well, although it would slightly increase the memory footprint.  I don't think that would be much of a concern.

Case-sensitivity is handled by the F::Q modules, and not the framework itself.  However in almost every instance case should not make a difference.  I'll note it down on the task list.

Thanks for the feedback,

Paul

• Bob Fillmore

Bob Fillmore - 2000-11-15

Thanks for the tip!   I now have it working.
        Hopefully ActiveState will fix the CPAN module for Windows.
           - Bob