Menu

How I got EXE to work on Windows 7

Help
Anonymous
2011-07-21
2013-04-15
  • Anonymous

Anonymous - 2011-07-21

I'm a new EXE user. I tried it out last week for the first time on Windows XP and it worked perfectly. But I couldn't get it to run on my other laptop which has Windows 7. A Firefox page opens with an error message (something about XUL). The installation notes of EXE say that it's meant for Windows XP and Vista. I tried using the 'program compatibility' checker on Windows 7 but that didn't help.

Some other users have reported problems with running EXE on the latest Firefox version on Windows 7. To eliminate Firefox as the problem, I changed my default browser to IE.

Then I opened the task manager and ended the EXE process - I think it runs in the background even if you haven't managed to open it successfully. After that I started EXE again and voila! I can now use it!

I can't say if EXE will run perfectly now, but I have managed to get it running. The trick could be to change the default browser to IE (I have IE 8) on Windows 7 and make sure that EXE is not already running in the background before restarting it.

• Pat Toh

Pat Toh - 2011-10-17

Hi, I'm having the same problem with my Window 7. Can I know how to change the default browser? Thanks.

• outthere

outthere - 2011-10-21

This method used to wok for me but now I can't get either the installed or USB version to open. the only way I can get it to work is to use XP Mode on Virtual PC.

Hope this helps