Menu

EPG Collector (FP31) failing with error code 5

Help
ne17sg
2023-05-30
2024-05-05
  • ne17sg

ne17sg - 2023-05-30

I've been running FP31 successfully twice daily for over a year until a few days ago. Now every automatic run of the collector, or manual run from EPG Centre fails (last few lines of the log below).
    Win10 22H2 build 19045.2965
    I've checked I have the latest Visual C++ redistributables (x86 & x64) for 2012, 2013, 2015-2022.

Thinking it might be something MSoft changed affecting WMC I'veuninstalled, cleared ehome & reinstalled that with no change. I can email you the full log file but I can't see anything odd above these last few lines

Any suggestions please?

Tks

Summary: Total Stations = 156 Total Gaps = 4 Total Overlaps = 0 Total Time = 00:12:28.9427704
    Deleting any existing version of output file
    Creating output file: C:\Users\nae\AppData\Local\Geekzone\EPG Collector\TVGuide.xml
    Import name set to 'EPG Collector'
    Creating output file: C:\ProgramData\Geekzone\EPG Collector\TVGuide.mxf
    <e> ** The program has failed with an exception of type NullReferenceException
    <e> ** Exception: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
    <e> ** Location: at DomainObjects.OutputFileMXF.getSeriesLink(EPGEntry epgEntry)
    at DomainObjects.OutputFileMXF.processSeries(XmlWriter xmlWriter)
    at DomainObjects.OutputFileMXF.Process()
    at DomainObjects.OutputFile.Process()
    at EPGCollector.Program.processTunerCollection()
    at EPGCollector.Program.runNormalCollection()
    at EPGCollector.Program.Main(String[] args)
    <e> Exiting with code = 5
    9:43:58.89 </e></e></e></e>

• ne17sg

ne17sg - 2023-05-30

Apologies - I hadn't found the Windows FP32 MSI download until after posting above.
      FP32 installed and EPG download/upload to WMC working fine thanks.
      (My guide is from UK Freeview Ridge Hill - and assume they change something in guide format a week ago that broke FP31!)

• Steve Bickell

Steve Bickell - 2023-05-30

It may also be that whatever was in the guide data making it fail is no longer there.

• ne17sg

ne17sg - 2023-05-30

Thanks Steve
    That's possible as my last successful download with FP31 was 24 May at 08:39, and then failures including 30 May at 09:46 followed by a success with FP32 at 10:29 - the Freeview EPG gives between 6 and 7 days for most channels

I also checked the BBC website and it turns out they have altered the channel EPG configuration - started with Freesat in January but it was due on April 25th for my transmitter - so probbly wasn't that.

Anyway (and for any other UK Freeview users of your excellent EPGcollector) FP32 has me up and running again (tested several times today) - I couldn't find it in your download section but in another thread https://sourceforge.net/p/epgcollector/discussion/1125946/thread/95044add9f/

• Steve Bickell

Steve Bickell - 2023-05-30

I gave out FP32 to individual users who raised specific issues. I doubt there were any fixes in it for FreeSat.

I'm trying to create a version that doesn't need the C++ runtime as there have been a few issues with that over the last few months and if I can get that working it will be the next formal release.

• ne17sg

ne17sg - 2023-05-31

Steve,

It looks as though your suggestion about bad guide data was right - I uninstalled FP32, reinstalled FP31 and that has just loaded ok!

What is interesting is the failures from May 25th - May 30th were the only time I had a problem since installing FP31 on 9 Jan 2022.

Good idea to get rid of C++ as MSoft software quality seems to be not as good as it used to be.

I've also now found the MSI installer in your EPG Collector V4.3 Mirror.zip file.

Nigel

• ne17sg

ne17sg - 2023-05-31

I've just the EPG Collector V040332 Install in EPG Collector V4.3 Mirror\EPGCollector 4.3\Install\Release\
    For your info gives the unable to load PSIMemoryShare.DLL error (which I didn't get with the FP32 MSI you attached in another thread - and the sizes are different)

You asked in another thread about C++ versions, I've attached my C++ runtime versions.

I'll revert to the FP32 MSI from the thread which worked fine yesterday and overnight - so many thanks - let me know if you need would like UK Freeview testing of future versions.

• ne17sg

ne17sg - 2023-06-16

Hi Steve,

sorry it took so long for me to check but yes with the 2010 C++ redist pack installed the EPG Collector V4.3 Mirror\EPGCollector 4.3\Install\Release\ works just fine with the current (June) Msoft versions

Thanks.

• Steve Bickell

Steve Bickell - 2023-06-18

Thanks for the feedback.

When you have some spare time can you try the attached version. It doesn't have any C++ code in it.

• ne17sg

ne17sg - 2023-07-10

Sorry its taken so long for me to test. I uninstalled EPG Collector V040332 Install, then installed V050000 and ran it from the centre (as all my other tests are - I have a twice daily scheduled task run as well).
    Unfortunately it failed fairly quickly with error 5, screen shot of the log attached, I can let you have the full log tonight if that would help, but am then away again.

• ne17sg

ne17sg - 2023-07-22

That worked perfectly, both as was with visual C++ runtimes and again after I had uninstalled all of them (although without rebooting). I'll leave this version running (twice a day on the scheduler) and get back to you if anything comes up.

Many thanks Steve

• Steve Bickell

Steve Bickell - 2023-07-22

There is no C++ code in the v5 version so it would be surprising if there was still a requirement for the runtime but its good to prove it isn't needed in different scenarios.

I'll probably supply v5 in future if anybody needs fixes/upgrades. The slight risk is that I can't test most of the hardware setups (eg DVB-C or ATSC) which is where the runtime was used.

Anyway thanks for helping out - it's much appreciated.

• ne17sg

ne17sg - 2024-05-04

hi Steve,

I have been running the v5 version above successfully from my message to you last July - until about 4:38 (gmt) on 3/5 days ago when it started failing - see bottom lines from log:

Summary: Total Stations = 164 Total Gaps = 86 Total Overlaps = 0 Total Time = 00:08:50.7479663
    Creating output file: C:\Users\nae\AppData\Local\Geekzone\EPG Collector\TVGuide.xml
    Import name set to 'EPG Collector'
    Creating output file: C:\ProgramData\Geekzone\EPG Collector\TVGuide.mxf
    <e> ** The program has failed with an exception of type NullReferenceException
    <e> ** Exception: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
    <e> ** Location: at DomainObjects.OutputFileMXF.getSeriesLink(EPGEntry epgEntry)
    at DomainObjects.OutputFileMXF.processSeries(XmlWriter xmlWriter)
    at DomainObjects.OutputFileMXF.Process()
    at DomainObjects.OutputFile.Process()
    at EPGCollector.Program.processTunerCollection()
    at EPGCollector.Program.runNormalCollection()
    at EPGCollector.Program.Main(String[] args)
    <e> Exiting with code = 5
    13:24:20.74 </e></e></e></e>

The popup message mentions COM I'll do a screenshot of it next time

I'm not aware of changing anything on my win10 system the previous evening (I run automatically twice a day).

I've just removed v5 and installed v4.31 - but got the same error.

I'm now installing the latest cumulative update preview and with uninstall and reinstall again and let let know - but any other suggestions welcome.

Nigel

• ne17sg

ne17sg - 2024-05-04

Apologies for my last post being struckout - not sure why.
    I've run fp31 again and I was mistaken about the popup mentioning Com - it says "The collection process has completed with exit code 5. A Program exception occurred"

I've checked the TVGuide.xml file - which looks ok (ends with
    but the last entry in the TVGuide.mxf file looks truncated - see below.

Do you think this may be due to a bad entry in the guide? - I'm going to try removing channels from the lookup and see if it completes then.

<SeriesInfo id="si2818" uid="!Series!fashion on friday with monsoon" title="Fashion on Friday with Monsoon" shortTitle="Fashion on Friday with Monsoon" description="Fashion on Friday with Monsoon" shortDescription="Fashion on Friday with Monsoon" startAirdate="0001-01-01T00:00:00" endA

• ne17sg

ne17sg - 2024-05-04

ok it looks as though it is a corrupt guide entry somewhere.

I deleted about half of the services (in epgcentre.ini) and the guide load has just completed successfully. I'll try adding the other services 1 by 1 until I find the bad one. I'll probably reinstall version 5 above - to prevent the C++ funnies I got last year.

Nigel

• Steve Bickell

Steve Bickell - 2024-05-05

It looks like the only field that could cause it is a blank program title.

I've put in a check avoid the error.

• ne17sg

ne17sg - 2024-05-05

Excellent Steve !
    Very many thanks. I installed this latest version - checked it ran ok with the fewer services, (it did), then added back all of the other services to my 2 .ini files (epgcentre.ini & epgcollect.ini) and have just run it manually from the centre successfully.
    My automatic run using the other .ini file will be in a couple of hours.

Regards

Nigel