Menu

Can I use Collector to create the MXF file and use the EPG123 Client task to load it for WMC?

Help
Tom
2024-06-13
2024-06-13
  • Tom

Tom - 2024-06-13

Greetings
    EPG Collector runs every few days 3 times a week and loads the data collected from zap2it.
    Every now and then (a few weeks) I have to manually run EPG123 to Rebuild WMC Database as the db file grows too large and eventually breaks windows media center.

After running Rebuild WMC Database EPG123 prompts me to load up the MXF file. I use ...\AppData\Local\Geekzone\EPG Collector\TVGuide.mxf to restore all the Guide data and it is surprisingly quick.

So I was thinking of using EPG123 Client Mode -> Scheduled Task to load up the Guide data generated from EPG Collector daily instead of having the collector handle this step.

Originally I have Windows Media Centre Output Enabled in the Collector.
    With Series and repeats set to Use Programme title without merge
    With Automatically map EPG data ticked
    With don't create dummy affiliates ticked
    And Run standard tasks after import ticked

Disable in-band guide loader was not ticked. Maybe this was the culprit overall? Not sure this would cause the DB to grow overtime but maybe it eventually corrupts stuff, I read that after revisiting the Collector's Documentation. It's been a while since I've touched this set up as everything is at my old parents house.

Anyways beside testing that above (tick to disable in-band) I was wondering if it was possible to get a WMC friendly MXF out of EPG Collector without directly affecting the DB and let EPG123 handle all the media center heavy lifting for updating the guide? Hopefully then it can run the garbage collecting and ReindexSearchRoot / PvrScheduleTask jobs with less fuss.

• Steve Bickell

Steve Bickell - 2024-06-13

EPG Collector uses the utility LoadMXF.exe, which is part of WMC, to load the MXF file into the WMC database. It doesn't do it itself. And the disable in-band setting isn't relevant to the process.

I would imagine EPG123 does the same thing and uses LoadMXF. There is no way to stop EPG Collector running LoadMXF but there is no reason you can't run EPG123 afterwards as well.