Menu

Change DVB Terrestial Details - the Frequency cannot be located (4.3 FP 27) & workaround used

ne17sg
2021-07-20
2021-08-16
  • ne17sg

ne17sg - 2021-07-20

2 of the 8 frequencies used by the UK Ridge Hill transmitter (see [Wiki] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ridge_Hill_transmitting_station#Digital_television) are offset by +166kHz and oddly I get an error tuning to 474MHz but am successful in tuning 482MHz using the supplied UK.Ridge Hill.xml file (screenprint in attached 7z file)

(Note 474MHz is a DVB-T and 482MHz DVB-T2 and I use an oldish Blackgold card)

When I used EPG Centre Change DVB Terrestrial Details option, altered 474000 to 474166 and tried to save it I got the error popup "the Frequency cannot be located" - screenprint in 7z.

I've been able to workaround the problem by copying UK.Ridge Hill.xml into my AppData - EPG Collector - Tuning Parameters - dvbt folder and using notepad to change to the offset frequencies, remove the Before Switchover freqs and add the new ones, including the 2nd DVB-T2 746MHz.

With my modified frequencies everything else works perfectly (see channels scan screenprint in 7z).

Last edit: ne17sg 2021-07-20
    • Chris J

Chris J - 2021-07-21

There is no need to scan all 8 Mux as the same EPG date is on all Mux. I
      just scan 2 Mux as a backup. The only difference is that the data for
      channels native to the mux is transmitted more frequently. There is even BBC
      West EPG data even though its not broadcast on the Ridge Hill "West" mux!

In reality its hardly worth bothering with offsets as the majority of the
      population are using a standard TV set which don't know about offsets! I do
      have offsets for my PVR tuning as it was easy to edit the ini file but have
      not bothered in EPG Collector!

Chris

Sent: 20 July 2021 23:16
      To: [epgcollector:discussion]
      Subject: [epgcollector:discussion] Change DVB Terrestial Details - the
      Frequency cannot be located (4.3 FP 27) & workaround used

2 of the 8 frequencies used by the UK Ridge Hill transmitter 2 of the 8
      frequencies used by the UK Ridge Hill transmitter (see [Wiki]
      (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ridge_Hill_transmitting_station#Digital_telev
      ision) are offset by +166kHz and oddly I get an error tuning to 474MHz but
      am successful in tuning 482MHz using the supplied UK.Ridge Hill.xml file
      (screenprint in attached 7z file)

(Note 474MHz is a DVB-T and 482MHz DVB-T2 and I use an oldish Blackgold
      card)

When I used EPG Centre Change DVB Terrestrial Details option, altered 474000
      to 474166 and tried to save it I got the error popup "the Frequency cannot
      be located" - screenprint in 7z.

I've been able to workaround the problem by copying UK.Ridge Hill.xml into
      my AppData - EPG Collector - Tuning Parameters - dvbt folder and using
      notepad to change to the offset frequencies.

With my modified frequencies everything else works perfectly (see channels
      scan screenprint in 7z).

Change DVB Terrestial Details - the Frequency cannot be located (4.3 FP 27)
      https://sourceforge.net/p/epgcollector/discussion/1125945/thread/b2858a5457 /?limit=25#cd89 & workaround used

Sent from sourceforge.net because you indicated interest in
      https://sourceforge.net/p/epgcollector/discussion/1125945/

To unsubscribe from further messages, please visit
      https://sourceforge.net/auth/subscriptions/

• ne17sg

ne17sg - 2021-07-21

Chris,

Thanks for putting that down (it may help others in the future...)-

I'd worked it out by trial and error including the ITV West broadcast on 538MHz which had caused WMC to have 2 channel 3s...

At present I'm only using 474.166MHz (as it was the first freq in the list) and found the no lock problem with 474.000MHz.

I use the Filters tab to select only the channels (ticking only the one with the Ridge Hill ONID, TSID, SID) I want to reduce the 1159 services down to the relevant 159.

I experiemented with collecting all freqs and trying to do the filtering on the Channels Tab - but I ended up with only the services on the last freq in the list so went back to the Filters tab.

Nigel

Last edit: ne17sg 2021-07-21
  • Steve Bickell

Steve Bickell - 2021-07-27

There is a fault when trying to change any of the types of tuning parameters if you attempt to change the frequency. You will get the message you posted.

It will be fixed in fixpack 28.

Incidentally if you want to keep any changes you have made to a tuning file you need to put the file in 'log file directory/TuningParameters/dvbt' directory or installing a fixpack will overwrite your changes.

EPGC looks in the above directory first before looking in the installation directory for DVB-T tuning files.

• ne17sg

ne17sg - 2021-07-27

Many thanks Steve,

I’d realised that (with a few trial & errors).

Would you like me to send you a zip file of the current UK DVB Terrestrial frequencies as your set of xml files (including the +-133kHz offsets)?

– as the ones I’ve looked at all have a couple of frequency changes (made between 2012 and 2019). It looks as though there will be some more to remove the higher frequencies for 5G usage, but I haven’t seen those published yet.

Regards & again many thanks,

Nigel

• Steve Bickell

Steve Bickell - 2021-07-28

New files would be good.

TBH I only update the odd individual file when someone points out a change.

• ne17sg

ne17sg - 2021-07-28

It'll be a few days.  I've just got an export from a Web page within excel process working. NigelSent from my Galaxy
      -------- Original message --------From: Steve Bickell nzsjb@users.sourceforge.net Date: 28/07/2021 08:35 (GMT+00:00) To: "[epgcollector:discussion]" 1125945@discussion.epgcollector.p.re.sourceforge.net Subject: [epgcollector:discussion] Change DVB Terrestial Details - the Frequency cannot be located (4.3 FP 27) & workaround used New files would be good.
      TBH I only update the odd individual file when someone points out a change.

Change DVB Terrestial Details - the Frequency cannot be located (4.3 FP 27) & workaround used

Sent from sourceforge.net because you indicated interest in https://sourceforge.net/p/epgcollector/discussion/1125945/
      To unsubscribe from further messages, please visit https://sourceforge.net/auth/subscriptions/

• ne17sg

ne17sg - 2021-07-31

Steve,

UK dvbt channel info source from Frequencies sourced from https://www.freeview.co.uk/help/coverage-checker/detailed-view/anglia?postcode=B75%205JJ%20&address= (you change anglia to the ITV region you want but can leave the ?postcode part the same for all regions)
    That is the most up-to-date and complete list I found on the web and I think is an official list.

Attached a zip file with 2 folders inside:
    6 mux xmitters - the current 81 main UK transmitters which I selected as broadcasting 6 or more muxes - note some of the names have changed from your list.

repeaters - 1081 repeaters of 3 or 4 muxes generally lower power, filling in gaps from the main transmitters.
    At least 1 repeater was listed as both HP and VP with the same channels - I only include one file without the HP/VP
    Ridge Hill West is listed with only the ITV West Channel - I've added that to the Ridge Hill file in the 6 mux folder (in addition to its ITV Central Channel)

Date last changed information is available for all of these and I could easily add another XML tag with that if it wouldn't harm your software?

I guess anyone using your software in the UK would know their transmitter name, but would adding the ITV region to the filename make the lists slightly easier to look through (eg UK.Central.Ridge Hill (bad example because of the ITV West channel...)

(I downloaded the ITV regions channel lists as csv files, used power query to combine filter and sort, excel to convert the channels to frequencies and visual basic to write the xml files)

Nigel

• ne17sg

ne17sg - 2021-07-31

I messed up the zipping in previous message and included old copies of the main transmitters.
    Correct version now attached.

• Steve Bickell

Steve Bickell - 2021-08-16

Thanks for those files. In the end I didn't use the repeater files as there were just too many of them and loading times were too slow.

FYI any unknown tags eg date updated in the tuning files are ignored. Maybe 10 years ago when there were a lot of users of EPGC we could have enhanced the tuning files to carry more information but I wouldn't bother now.