Menu

New Install Problem

Chris J
2015-05-03
2015-05-04
  • Chris J

Chris J - 2015-05-03

A year or two ago when I did an EPG Collector "All Users" install the ini file was stored under \ProgramData so was accessible to all users. This stayed the same the same when updated to the latest version. However a recent "All Users" install on a clean install of Windows stores the ini files in the \users directory so only accessible to the one user and not the Admin account.

The software I use runs the EPG update using the admin account which has worked ok until I reinstalled Windows recently. EPG Collector now wont run using the admin account as it cannot find an ini file. The obvious work around is to run the EPG update using the user account. However before I do that I wanted to check if this EPG Collector configuration is how it is now supposed to run as I cannot find any mention of the change.

Chris

• Steve Bickell

Steve Bickell - 2015-05-03

There has been no change in this area for a very long time so the following comment about the 'data' directory in the ReadMe should still be true:

Administrator Vista/W7 C:\ProgramData\Geekzone\EPG Collector

User Vista/W7 C:\Users\%user%\AppData\Local\Geekzone\EPG Collector

I don't think the way you install it is relevant. That just determines who can see the application and therefore run it.

The status of the user who runs the collection determines where the data directory (and hence the ini file) is located.

The log lists the privilege level of the user who is running the collection.

• Chris J

Chris J - 2015-05-04

Thanks to your comments above I ran the previous install of Windows to check the setup and found that UAC was disabled. This means the default user was logged in as Admin so EPG Collector stored the ini file under \ProgramData. I must have done this to overcome the problem I have because EPG Collector is setup using the user account but the EPG update which starts EPG Collector runs using the Admin account.

Disabling UAC is one solution but it may be safer to run the service which starts the EPG update using the default user account instead of "System".