Menu

Impossible to install Enigmail for Thunderbird

2016-07-24
2016-07-24
  • Kourosh Saleh

Kourosh Saleh - 2016-07-24

Hello everygody,

I have installed Thunderbird 45.2.0 on a Windows 8.1. It works and I can send and receive emails (using my Google account). I have also installed GPG4Win-2.3.2, I guess it has installed because it asked me to restart my computer and when I search for GPG it shows unistall opetion in the list.

I opened Thunderbird and went to Add-ons, searched for Enigmail and clicked on "Install", then it says Enigmail will be installed after you restarted Thunderbird I have done this step several times and restarted Thunderbird everytime, but Enigmail does not appear on Thundermail menu (GPG either does not appear on the menu).

Appreciate all kind of advice.

Thanks

• Olav Seyfarth

Olav Seyfarth - 2016-07-24

OK, GnuPG (GPG4win) seems OK. We could verify but Enigmail should appear in AddOns whether GnuPG is installed or not, so we put GnuPG setup verification aside for now.

If Enigmail does not show up in AddOns after installing it through AddOns Manager, there's something wrong. One common mistake is that one tries to install it in Firefox, but since it installed and asked you to restart Thunderbird, that seems OK also.

If it still doesn't show up, it smells like a corrupted profile. My advice would be to start Thunderbird with the option " -P" (from the command line or by tweaking it's start menu or desktop link. See the KB article on this (available in multiple languages): https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/using-multiple-profiles

My advice therefore is to test to install Enigmail in a NEW Thunderbird "test profile". If it works there, you know there's something fishy with your original profile and you really want to fix that...

HTH, Olav