Menu

Progress on maven plugin?

Developers
2005-03-01
2013-05-09
  • Chad Woolley

Chad Woolley - 2005-03-01

Hi,

I'd like to see some cleanup made on the maven plugin.  I've posted some comments about it, but I've got no response on it.  As I said, I had a homegrown maven plugin, which has some advantages and disadvantages compared to the current one in the project.  There are also some things that just need to be cleaned up. For example, the four valid settings referred to in plugin.properties don't actually contain the real valid value of "replace_classes".

It doesn't look like anything much has been done on this since the initial load on 9/26.  I'd like to submit some patches for this, starting with the one I just posted for :

http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1144463&group_id=108932&atid=651897

If nobody has time for this, I'll be glad to help out if you want to make me a committer (you can trust me, I've got references :).  My goal is to make this plugin clean and usable for me and hopefully a lot of other people.  One of the main things that needs to be done for it to be usable for me is to figure out someway to avoid packaging instrumented jars in application distributions, which is a problem I encountered when running the current plugin with a webapp in maven (discussed in a separate thread)

Let me know,
    Chad Woolley

• Vlad Roubtsov

Vlad Roubtsov - 2005-03-01

Chad,

You make a number of good points. What can I say, finding spare time for this has been a challenge (I don't really use or need Maven much at work). I firmly believe that the best changes and improvements can be done by users who use EMMA for real work, have an agenda to address, and are willing to commit some decent time. You certainly seem to pass these criteria.

Dilum has got the plugin to a point where it works well for his company and it looks like he is having a hard time going beyond that. I would be happy to add you as an EMMA developer. Just give me one day to take a quick look at the patch you've submitted and then we can put things in motion. How does that sound?

Vlad.

(In my lame defense, I've had other people expressing initial willingless to contribute but then they would disappear without contributing anything.)

• Chad Woolley

I agree totally.  My time demands are also overwhelming, so the only things I tend to do on open source nowadays is "scratch my own itches".  However, if it's useful stuff I like to get it out in the public where others can take advantage of it.  It's just discouraging when that is made too difficult - and I'm not talking about this project :) .

Anyway, EMMA is great and I'd love to help out.

-- Chad

• Chad Woolley

FYI, here's the thread where I made some more detailed comments on the "instrumented code in deployable" problem:

https://sourceforge.net/forum/forum.php?thread_id=1214359&forum_id=373865

-- Chad