Menu

merge = "false" does not work

Developers
2009-08-14
2013-05-09
  • Jeffray Huang

Jeffray Huang - 2009-08-14

I am using ant to run emma instrumentation under Eclipse(Actually it is IBM Rational Application Developer 7.0) When I set instrument option merge = "fasle", the first run works fine. But the second time fails. It gives me "[OUT_IO_FAILURE] exception occurred while writing output file [C:\Build\server\metadata.emma]" error message in the build console. I know it is because the file is locked by emma. And I can only delete the metadata file after I restart RAD. Any idea about how I can unlock the file so that I can run the instrumentation repeatedly without restarting RAD? 

• Marc R. Hoffmann

Make sure you execute the Ant script in a separate VM (Extenal Tools > JRE >Separate JRE). Then the lock should be released after the script terminates. If the file is still locked, you can find the lock owner with tools like the Process Explorer:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx

Best regards,
      -marc

• Jeffray Huang

Jeffray Huang - 2009-08-17

Thanks Marc. Your information is very valuable.
      RAD has custom ant build task like ProjectBuild, EjbDeploy which forces workspace JRE to be used.
      I did use Process Explorer to find out eclipse javaw.exe holds the metadata file handle.
      Is it a bug in emma that the file is not closed properly?
      another question, why the metadata file keeps increaing if I use default "Merge = true" when doing instrumentation? I thought Emma should only update the file with new changes.