setting limits for under- and overvoltage

Help
2015-04-20
2015-04-22
  • Wilfried Hennings

I already asked in the beginners forum at
    https://sourceforge.net/p/electricdss/discussion/beginners/thread/74f3ed97/
    but need more help.
    How can the limits for under- and overvoltage be set?
    The load definition allows such parameters, e.g.
    load.load1 VminNorm=0.9999 VminEmerg=0.9998
    but in the file DI_VoltExceptions.CSV, voltages below these limits are still not marked as undervoltage.

• Roger Dugan

Roger Dugan - 2015-04-21

For the LOAD object, the correct property names would be Vminpu and Vmaxpu. I would think you would have gotten a message about a property name being invalid if you used VminNorm and VminEmerg.

Perhaps you are thinking of the global options NormVminpu and EmergVminpu. You would set these with the Set command:

Set NormVminpu=0.9999 EmergVminpu=0.9998

This setting will apply to all nodes in the problem that have the voltage base defined.

Try that and see if you get more reasonable results.

• Wilfried Hennings

Thank you for the reply.

• Setting the limits for the load object doesn't work, neither with VminNorm=0.9999 VminEmerg=0.9998 (as written in the Manual page 133, also in the docx version from SVN) nor with Vminpu and Vmaxpu (as you wrote) - these settings have no effect but also no message about property being invalid.

• Setting the global options NormVminpu, EmergVminpu, NormVmaxpu and EmergVmaxpu works. (I yet have to test how I have to set them.)

• P.S.: Setting NormVminpu and EmergVminpu for the load object does result in a message about property being invalid.

Last edit: Wilfried Hennings 2015-04-21
  • Roger Dugan

Roger Dugan - 2015-04-22

The VminNorm and VminEmerg properties of the LOAD are for computing the Energy Exceeding Normal (EEN) and Unserved Energy (UE) quantities in the ENERGYMETER registers during a sequential time simulation. They do not apply to the undervoltage report in the voltage exceptions report. That report uses the global options NormVminpu and EmergVminpu.

The VminPU, VmaxPU, and VlowPU properties of a LOAD are for the break points in the V-I curve for power flow solution. For example, a constant power load is only constant power until the voltage falls below Vminpu. Then the load transitions to a linear model that will give a "soft" landing for the load model all the way down to zero volts.

• Roger Dugan

Roger Dugan - 2015-04-22

Attached is a screen capture from an OpenDSS Training PPT from 2014 showing the break points in the load model.

• Wilfried Hennings

I see. Thank you very much for the clarification.