Menu

Nothing displayed

Ishmael
2012-05-13
2016-12-10
  • Ishmael

Ishmael - 2012-05-13

I must be missing something.  I have opened a .exe file, and I think that the EHEP plugin is active, since the icon on the tab shows "1010", but the window is blank.  How do I get the hex to show up?  I'm using Eclipse 3.7.2.

• Randallco

Randallco - 2012-05-14

Hi, EHEP 1.0.0 works fine with Eclipse 3.7.2, I just re-tested it. Anyway, in the Project Explorer in Eclipse, find the file you want to open in EHEP, right-click on it, select "Open With -> Other…", then find "Hex Editor" in the list of available plugins and click "OK" button. Does it work this way? If not, please attach a log related to EHEP plugin extracted from "workspace/.metadata/.log" file.

• Ishmael

Ishmael - 2012-05-14

Ah, that works, thanks!  I was mistakenly opening the file by going to File…Open…  Is there any way to 'apply' the hex editor once a file is open?  Also, I should just mention that yesterday, every time I opened a file (using the incorrect method), the window showed up completely blank.  Today I'm at least seeing the usual binary gibberish.  No clue what changed, I'm afraid.

• Ishmael

Ishmael - 2012-05-14

Is it possible to use the hex editor for a file that is NOT part of a project?

• Randallco

Randallco - 2012-05-14

Yes, it is possible, just make sure that the file you want to open and its extension is already associated with EHEP Hex Editor - go to "Window -> Preferences -> General -> Editors -> File Associations" as review the list of known file extensions and default plugin associations. If your extension is there and associated with "Hex Editor", then you should be able to open any external file in EHEP via File -> Open File… dialog. If your extension is not there yet, please create one and select "Hex Editor" as default plugin. Then try to open the file with that particular extension.

• Ishmael

Ishmael - 2012-05-15

That's perfect.  Just one detail, in case anyone else reads this.  Once I added my extension, as you described, I opened the file using File…Open File…, which opened the file normally (there was no Open With… option there).  I then right-clicked on the text displayed and selected Open With…Hex Editor, which re-opened the file using your plugin.  Thanks!

• Brendan Simon

Brendan Simon - 2016-07-05

I tried a File => Open File, but did not see the option for Open With ... Hex Editor anywhere. I right-click on text, highlighted text, the background, just about anything, but I could not get the file to open with Hex Editor.

My file is a .txt file (yes I know it suggests a text file, but the terminal program I'm using to send data to another device only allows me to select .txt extensions, even though the data has binary bytes).

I'm using Mars.2 (Eclipse 4.5). The file is not part of an Eclipse project. I just drag the file onto Eclipse so I can edit it, but need to edit it with a hex editor.

I've added a .txt file association and added Hex Editor as an available editor.

Any ideas ???

Last edit: Brendan Simon 2016-07-05
  • Brendan Simon

Brendan Simon - 2016-07-05

If I create a temp project and add the file to the project (drag-n-drop and then select "copy files") everything works fine. I can open the txt file, and also open with Hex Editor.

If I link to the file (drag-n-drop file to project and selelct "link to files") then I can edit the file by double clicking on it, but if I right-click and select Open With with Hex Editor I get the following error.

Error reading file xxx.txt!

java.lang.NullPointerException

Looks like a EHEP :(

• Uwe Voigt

Uwe Voigt - 2016-12-10

When dropping a file into an eclipse project, uncheck the "create link locations relative to" checkbox. This should do the trick.