auto standby

Help
kitelau
2004-07-14
2013-05-13
  • kitelau

kitelau - 2004-07-14

hi,

I have been using efaxk-gtk for a while. I have a question for you.

I can have efax-gtk startup automatically by adding it to gnome session. But Is there any way to startup efax-gtk and put it in standby mode automatically? The reason of my question is that I often forget to startup efax-gtk, and missed faxes.

Thanks.

Kite

• Chris Vine

Chris Vine - 2004-07-15

Hi Kite,

There is no way of doing that at present.  I will consider adding that, by providing an argument that can be passed to efax-gtk on start up which enables it to be started up in receive standby mode (and hidden in the system tray).

This will not be until release 2.2.10 however (I am at present working on something else for 2.2.9).

Chris.

• kitelau

kitelau - 2004-08-11

Hi Chris,

Sorry for my late response. It has been a period since my last visit to this forum. Glad to hear your plan.

I have another feature request if possible. When the the program is in standby mode, I cannot send a fax until I stop the standby mode. Is there any way to stop standby mode automatically when someone hit "send fax" so that the send fax action can be done? It will be cool if the program can resume standby mode after the fax sending process is finnished.

Regards,

Kite

• Chris Vine

Chris Vine - 2004-08-23

Hi Kite,

The program will not do what you want as it stands at the moment.  It would require some reworking of the program to drop standby mode, send a fax, and then return to standby mode.  However, it would certainly not be impossible.

I am not entirely convinced it would be worth the effort.  If the modem is on standby, I think it would probably be better if the user had to make a positive decision to change that and send a fax.  I will have a think about that, and about how much work would be required.  But thanks for the suggestion.

I intend now to set about implementing your suggestion about having a start up in standby/hidden-in-the-tray option.  You have probably seen that version 2.2.9/2.2.9a is out.

Chris.

• Chris Vine

Chris Vine - 2004-09-13

Kite,

Having thought about it further, I think your idea of being able to send a fax when in receive standby mode is a good one, and the code to do that is now in CVS.

Provided that a fax is not actually in the middle of being received, the program will allow you to send a fax when the program is in receive standby mode, and the program will also revert back to receive standby mode once the fax has been sent (or there has been a failure in sending the fax).

This will be in 2.2.11 when I release it, assuming I don't discover too many problems with it before release (however my testing indicates that it seems to work fine so far).

Chris.

• kitelau

kitelau - 2004-09-26

Chris,

Thanks for your efforts! Your program is becoming smarter and smarter. I have been using the latest stable version. I just want to say you are so cool. :)

Kite