Help
Anonymous
2011-10-25
2012-12-06
<< < 1 2 3 (Page 3 of 3)
  • Michael Jones

Michael Jones - 2012-02-01

Hahahahaha ZING!

Well, of course, I wouldn't be quibbling if it actually did show me info in the variables view, or allowed me to step, or showed me where in my code I was, or any of that.  Well, I might if I hadn't had my first coffee.  Let us assume I'm quibbling because none of the menus or buttons show any indication I'm in debug mode at all, as a matter of fact, nor any of the other windows as far as I can tell.

=)

It doesn't switch over to a "debug perspective" of any sort or do anything in the existing windows except for the console and in the Progress tab showing that ghc is running (presumably the one in interactive mode).

Ideas?  Places to look?

• JP Moresmau

JP Moresmau - 2012-02-01

MMhh, that's true, by default it doesn't switch to the debug perspective. However, on a totally fresh install on my test machine, if I manually open the debug perspective, I see the information. I have a Debug view showing me the line of my breakpoint, and a Variables view showing me _result.

• Michael Jones

Blargh.  Darn my inspecificity.

I can't *find* a debug perspective.  There's Haskell, and Haskell Browser in the perspectives menu.  There is no view for debug or perspective for debug that I can find anywhere, including in the View menu.  Maybe I'm just blind.

• JP Moresmau

JP Moresmau - 2012-02-01

Window -> Open Perspective -> Other… -> Debug
    If you don't have it, what version of Eclipse have you installed? I thought the Debug view came with all of them, but I've never checked…

• Michael Jones

DARNIT… It wasn't in Open Perspective but it was in Other…

Right under my nose.  okay, I'm going to hammer at this a bit more to see if I can ferret out other problems.

Might I make a feature request eventually that the debug perspective is automatically opened, like it does in Java? :D

The journey's not quite over.  I plan on breaking eclipseFP again. :D  *goes digging*

• Michael Jones

Okay, so this is a "I'm not used to eclipse" question, especially when it comes to plugin deployment. 

I tried exporting the root plugin for net.sf.eclipsefp.haskell alone, via the Export Wizard, choosing Install Into Host, and I got the following error:

Could not find the exported unit with id: net.sf.eclipsefp.haskell.browser version: 2.2.2

Okay, so I decided to build all of them at once, and that failed with more dependency problems.  I've picked one or two of the others, like the browser just mentioned, and tried to build that alone, and got:

Could not find the exported unit with id: net.sf.eclipsefp.haskell.browser version: 2.2.2

I'm obviously not interpreting that correctly, because it seems to suggest it depends on itself.

Got some hints? The Eclipse plugin documentation is vast, and the plugin deployment section is being unhelpfully nonspecific on this problem.  I'd like to run the plugin directly as part of the primary Eclipse, not secondarily through launching the plugin project.  Just to see if any bugs crop up that way.

• Michael Jones

Okay, found another bug.  If I run the plugin, and Eclipse comes up, and I have no haskell source files open, and then I open one of them, the Outline window doesn't get populated.  Hoogle still behaves, so scion-browser is alive, but the Outline window is blank.  (This in turn means that breakpoints can't be set and get locked out, as before when scion-browser's version wasn't reporting).

On the other hand, if I then leave that source file open, close Eclipse, and reopen it, the source file is already open and waiting for me, *and* the Outline window is populated, and I can set breakpoints.  If at this point I open a *different* source file in the same project, it suffers from a blank outline window, and I can't set breakpoints in that source file (but I can still set breakpoints in the first).

If I then close and reopen the source file that worked in the Outline window, it stops providing outline again.

Alright, so I guess that boils down to:  When a source file is opened for the first time *after* the plugin has loaded, the outline window is never populated.

Another race condition perhaps?  Or a failure to re-populate the outline window on the source files being opened?

• JP Moresmau

JP Moresmau - 2012-02-02

Can you please start new threads for new issues? It's not manageable to have tens of different questions in the same thread. Then for your last question, it's obvious it works most of the time for most of the people. How would I be able to work on buildwrapper and scion-browser if I had to restart my Eclipse every time I open a new file?

• Michael Jones

Michael Jones - 2012-02-02

My apologies, JP.  I was treating this (erroneously) as a conversational thread to get these kinks worked out rather than bug specific threads, and I can see how that would be horribly confusing and unmanageable. I shall transfer my previous post to another thread.

Thank you very much for your attention so far, and I shall continue to try to hammer at this.

:)

<< < 1 2 3 (Page 3 of 3)