Menu

Symlink handling does not work in 2.1.7

Help
2010-01-25
2013-04-06
  • Achim Bursian

Achim Bursian - 2010-01-25

We just switched to Galileo with the Clearcase plugin v2.1.7, on a Solaris Sparc system.
    Our existing code base has a lot of symbolic links (not Eclipse links, I'm talking about VOB symbolic links on the ClearCase level, created with "cleartool ln -s")

v2.1.7 does not seem to handle them properly any more. With the older version 1.1.2 that we used to have with Eclipse 3.3, a symbolic link to a directory showed the target of the link with a "->" annotation in the project explorer view. Even more important: With a symlink to a regular file, it was possible to "checkout" the symlink with the team menu in Eclipse, and the Clearcase plugin would checkout the target file. This is exactly what everybody expects.

With 2.1.7, this does not work at all. The ClearCase plugin handles the symlink as if it was not a CC element at all.

What makes things worse: As a result, the C/C++ Indexer of CDT sees the symlinked files twice, and indexes them both. With a code base of several thousand files, this adds significant amount of indexing time and needed hard disk space (we are talking about hours of indexing!)

Any idea what's wrong here?
    We are using Eclipse 3.4.1, eclipseccase 2.1.7 (newly compiled for JRE 1.5), JRE 1.5, Sun Solaris 10 on Sparc workstation

BTW: We reverted to eclipseccase 1.1.2 now, and surprisingly enough, it seems to work with Galileo. is that expected?

Thanks for help!

• Achim Bursian

Achim Bursian - 2010-01-25

Oh yes, I forgot to mention: We are using ClearCase version 2003.06.00 (I guess that's CC v6?). No chance to upgrade, though.

• Mikael Petterson

Hi,

Thanks for using the plug-in. I am a single steady maintainer of this plug-in. I have had a couple of people making quick hacks and making it sometimes better and sometimes worse ( undocumented code).

I don't know why this functionality has disappeared since that has not been my intention to do that. Must be a lack of tests ( I know that the code base lacks test code due to lack of resources).

To be frank I don't know why this does not work in 2.1.7.

I know that the refresh on Linux and Solaris is terrible. That is what I am trying to focus on at the moment. I need at least another resource on the project to be able to finish within a reasonable time. Do you know anyone interested?

I am also suprised that the 1.1.2 is working with Galileo. Must be the the interfaces has not changed since in Eclipse.

I know that it is not much help but there will be a new release ( compiled with 1.5 ) and new functionality. I hope to recruit some people with plug-in knowledge.

br,

//mike

• Achim Bursian

Achim Bursian - 2010-01-26

Hi Mike,
    thanks for your reply.
    I could offer to dedicate some time myself. As we are using your plugin in our production environment, it's just fair if I spend some time at work to improve it. I've been developing some smaller plugins already, but I'm not a plugin expert. Yet I'm willing to contribute and to learn. Just drop me a note how I could help. (private mail)
    -Achim

• Mikael Petterson

Hi,

Thanks. I not an plugin expert either :-)
    No need to be that. Problems right now lies in the refresh mechanism.
    I am looking into to using JNotify when a file changes so that we do not have send a clearcase command to check if a file has changed.
    I also need to find some kind of algorithm to get the initial state of a file. It takes a  lot of time to set the initial state of the files ( especially on linux).
    Contact me on mikaelpetterson at hotmail.com

br,

//mike

• Achim Bursian

Achim Bursian - 2010-02-10

Just for those who monitor this topic: I joined the dev team for this plugin, and this bug is already fixed now. Will be available in the next release.

• Jonathan Greene

Jonathan Greene - 2012-07-03

Any ideas if an update to the Clear Case plugin for Eclipse is in the works for Adding/Modifying symlinks…?  We're stuck on this at the moment….

Thanks for any info

• Mikael Petterson

Hi

Addition of symlinks should not be to hard to implement. Please add a Feature request. Describe the support you need and how you want it to function and I will have a look at it. I will get back to you asap.

The support is currently showing and checking out files that are symlinks.

br,

//mike