Menu

Numeric time signatures display in large bold font

Rob L
2017-09-14
2018-04-17
  • Rob L

Rob L - 2017-09-14

I'm running EasyABC 1.3.7.7 on Linux Mint 18.2.

Ever since I went from EasyABC 1.3.7.6 on LM 17.3 to 1.3.7.6 (and now 1.3.7.7) on LM 18.2, EasyABC's display of numeric time signatures (like 4/4 or 6/8) and text symbols (like p or f dynamics) has been odd - the numerals and characters seem to be in a large bold font. The time signatures for common and cut time are fine (look normal, not large bold font), and everything looks fine when I export to PDF.

I've included a screenshot showing a time signature example.

Clearly this is not a life-or-death issue. Perhaps it's something to do with the fonts I have installed on my system, but if so I can't figure it out. I've checked / changed the editor font, but doing so (not surprisingly) makes no difference in the rendered notation. I see .png files for some of the symbology (e.g., pp.png) in the EasyAbc img directory, and the images seem to contain larger bolded text images, but I don't see any time signature .png files there.

Any ideas on what I need to do to get the "old" normal time signature display back?

Thanks! Rob L

Last edit: Rob L 2017-09-15
  • Rob L

Rob L - 2017-09-18

Thanks, but I already have the MS fonts installed - they show up in my word processor and font manager - so I presume the root cause is something else. Regards, RL

• J.W. de Jong

J.W. de Jong - 2017-09-18

I looked it up in the source, and I think I might have a solution. I think it is because you are using python-wxgtk3.0 instead of python-wxgtk2.8.
    Open svgrenderer.py and change:

wxfont = wx.Font(font_size, font_family, style, weight, False, font_face, wx.FONTENCODING_DEFAULT)
            if '__WXMSW__' in wx.PlatformInfo:                
                wxfont.SetPixelSize((font_size, font_size))
                y += 1
            else:
                wxfont.SetPointSize(font_size)

into

wxfont = wx.Font(font_size, font_family, style, weight, False, font_face, wx.FONTENCODING_DEFAULT)
            if wx.Platform != "__WXMAC__":
                wxfont.SetPixelSize((font_size, font_size))
                y += 1
            else:
                wxfont.SetPointSize(font_size)

It is around line 755 and only one line is different. It was:
    if '__WXMSW__' in wx.PlatformInfo:
    and should be:
    if wx.Platform != "__WXMAC__":

Does that solve it for you?

Last edit: J.W. de Jong 2017-09-18
  • Rob L

Rob L - 2017-09-23

Thanks, J.W. Yes, that makes the display look a lot better. I've attached an example. Regards (and thanks for all your work on EasyABC), RL

Last edit: Rob L 2017-09-23
  • Andrew Bernard

Andrew Bernard - 2018-04-17

A complete newbie myself to EasyABC on Linux, I immediately hit this on Ubunti 16.04.4. The fix described works, and no Microsoft fonts are required.

Should this be fixed in the distribution source code?

So, thanks!