Menu

Yet another suggestion

2009-08-25
2013-04-16
  • Mark McCorkle

Mark McCorkle - 2009-08-25

Tag Clouds.  Setup a second alt-like view for each file (or a folder of files, or a search result list of files) that gives me check-box like choices for tags for all files highlighted.  Then, give me a zoomable list of tags (most often occurring at the top) and let me drill down to the actual content at the bottom. 

• Oliver Hamann

Oliver Hamann - 2009-08-26

I have never liked those tag clouds I saw on the web. And I think directory trees should always be balanced by importance. But that's just _my_ opinion...

• Mark McCorkle

Mark McCorkle - 2009-08-26

The thing I like about tag clouds is that I can put multiple tags on a file like "work", "projectX", "due in Jan", etc.  So then, when I search for tagged things, I can search for all my "work" files, or just the files that belong in projectX, or if its December and I need to see whats coming up in January of next year, I search for the "due in Jan" tagged files. 

The way to do the same thing with directory / files is to create directories for work, projectx, etc and to place sym-links in there, but there is no easy way to create multiple symlinks and folders from any UI as of yet.

Tags aren't better by any standard, but they are useful.  The files still have to be on the hard drive somewhere, the tags just make it easier to group files not in the same folders.