Menu

New Commands contributed back and questions

2011-03-22
2022-09-23
  • Mark McCorkle

Mark McCorkle - 2011-03-22

I've been using EagleMode + Image Magick to process large batches of images easily.  I've created a group of small scripts that live under /usr/lib/eaglemode/etc/emFileMan/Commands/ and that can call all of my normal "convert" commands with the array of selected targets - using your existing command scripts as a coding model.

My first question is, how can I contribute these back to EagleMode?  They are nothing fancy, but makes Eaglemode VERY useful for mass image processing. 

My second question involves the "commands" view up in the "context-sensitive control panel" area.  When I select a known  image file type (based on extension, I assume), why do I get the same commands list that I do for an entire directory?  Shouldn't this be a short list of just commands that work against an image file (leaving more screen real-estate for the multitude of buttons I've created for my image magick commands)?  I figured out how to move my command buttons up to the top of the commands list and put them in a directory with a DirName.props setting, but I can't find a way to have these command buttons (as well as the buttons to load with Gimp/XFig/Inkscape) move up the list or be at least more visible when the user has selected an image file.  Is this possible?

Lastly, I started working on a quick script that goes through and removes commands from the list that I don't have on my machine (checking for executables in my search path, moving the Command.pl file into emFileMan/Commands.disabled if not found) cleaning up my buttons, but it only works with the ones that have an "OpenTargetFilesWith" line formatted as below:

OpenTargetFilesWith('soffice');

Is there a better way to define dependencies for commands?  If not, could I propose the following for the header of the commands?

# dependsOn = soffice

I'll be happy to update all the command perl scripts if you like that idea, and then put my check for dependencies in maybe /usr/lib/eaglemode/eaglemode.sh or somewhere like that (checked at startup, or perhaps at install time).  Just let me know. 

• Oliver Hamann

Oliver Hamann - 2011-03-25

If you could put your extensions somewhere on internet, I would like to insert a link in the Eagle Mode homepage.

Making the commands context-sensitive could be a good idea. I'll think about it.

I don't like the idea of removing commands automatically by dependency checks. The user could just have forgotten to install a favorite program on a new system, or he could change his mind later. I would prefer a graphical interface for choosing and editing the set of commands.

• Mark McCorkle

Mark McCorkle - 2011-03-25

Sure.  I'll clean up the code and put some contact info into them so that people can bother me for support if they need it.   I've only tested on Linux (not sure of imagemagick works on Windows/Cygwin) - should I test on Windows / Mac before we put them out there?

Also, do all commands have to be installed in /usr/lib/eaglemode/etc/emFileMan/Commands or is there a /home/${USERNAME}/ equivalent?

• Tony

Tony - 2019-04-30

Did you clean up the code after 8 years? :)

• Oliver Hamann

Oliver Hamann - 2011-03-27

If you test on Linux only, you could add a notice in a README about that. The equivalent for the commands directory is $HOME/.eaglemode/emFileMan/Commands

• Th​​​​​

Good day folks,
    I'm curious about how this discussion went down in the end?
    I've been watched parts of this channel's videos:
    https://www.youtube.com/user/oh417/featured
    especially that one (featuring Eagle Mode foundations put in good use
    for infrastructure monitoring)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QOdAtRam04

Have you folks kept in touch all these years by chance?
    I've got to grant it to you!

You've been well ahead of some curves
    I've heard of in the world of application
    performance monitoring interface (only starting to dive into
    this world though 😅).

Any recommandations, pointers, you'd favor going for?