Menu

Outline not available

Help
2007-08-29
2013-05-20
  • Blake Sorensen

Blake Sorensen - 2007-08-29

Hello all.  I'm using Eclipse 3.3.0  with Epic 0.5.39 and none of my perl scripts show up with an outline - the tab just says 'An outline is not available'.  This is a fresh install on a new machine, and I know I've had outlines for these scripts before.  Any suggestions on how to get it back?

• Jan Ploski

Jan Ploski - 2007-08-29

It's likely that you're not even opening the files with the EPIC editor, therefore no outline appears. Check your File Associations in Preferences.

• Blake Sorensen

Blake Sorensen - 2007-08-29

.pl, .pm, and .cgi are all associated with the EPIC editor.

• Jan Ploski

Jan Ploski - 2007-08-29

Right-click on the file and Open With... EPIC. Do you get an outline then?

• Blake Sorensen

Blake Sorensen - 2007-08-30

Not sure I follow.  I can open with Eclipse, but there's not an EPIC executable that I'm aware of to tell Windows to use.

• Manni

Manni - 2007-08-30

Jan was talking about Eclipse's project navigator. If you right-click a file in it, you get a "Open with" submenu where you can choose EPIC.

Manni

• Jeff Hancock

Jeff Hancock - 2007-08-30

I had a similar issue when I downloaded EPIC and upzipped it into the Eclipse plugins directory.  The problem cleared up when I instead installed EPIC using the Eclipse Update facility.

If you didn't "install" EPIC, you might try that.

• Blake Sorensen

Blake Sorensen - 2007-08-31

Hm, I don't really use the navigator, I just File->Open most of the time.  It's more convenient than setting up a new workspace every time I nfs mount a different drive.  I tried that and the outline does now show up, though, so I guess I'll just have to jump through the hoops.  Thanks for the tips, all. :)

• Jan Ploski

Jan Ploski - 2007-08-31

You don't have to create multiple workspaces:
        - projects can reside outside of the workspace (you can choose a non-default location during project creation)
        - individual files inside of a project may reside outside of the project (you can create a "linked file", which points to a file anywhere in your file system)