Menu

How to define input and output streams and let DWSIM calculate the equipments operational conditions of T and P?

2016-10-17
2016-10-20
  • Ana SR Brasio

Ana SR Brasio - 2016-10-17

Hello,

I would like to specify my input and output streams of the equipment and, then, I'd like to determine the equipment temperature and pressure in which the equipment must work in order to obtain that output stream. Is it possible doing this using DWSIM?

My case is:
    A gas-liquid separator that removes water from a water+glycerol stream (the example is in the attatchment). So, I'd like to determine T and P of the separator, in order to obtain an output stream with around of 47%(m/m) of glycerol. Is it possible?

Thank you in advance for your answers.

Best regards,
    Ana

• Daniel Medeiros

Daniel Medeiros - 2016-10-17

Yes, it is possible and you don't need a separator to do that. The stream itself is a "separator" because after the equilibrium calculation you'll know how much of each phase is present. You can use the sensitivity analysis or an adjust block to get the results.

• Ana SR Brasio

Ana SR Brasio - 2016-10-20

Thank you very much for your answer, Daniel. I have another question. In the same context, how may I see the boiling point of the stream. I.e., I specify the composition, the pressure, and the temperature of the stream and I obtained (for instance) two streams (one liquid and another gaseous) in the equilibrium. I may read the several properties of each stream, but the boiling point is missing. How may I read this property?

• Daniel Medeiros

Daniel Medeiros - 2016-10-20

Mixtures don't have a boiling point, only pure compounds do. To see pure compound NBPs, go to Tools > Pure Compound Property Viewer.

Mixtures have bubble and dew points. To calculate a bubble/dew point, set the stream spec to Temperature or Pressure and Vapor Fraction and the vapor fraction to 0 (bubble) or 1 (dew).

Last edit: Daniel Medeiros 2016-10-20
  • Ana SR Brasio

Thanks, Daniel. Thank you very much for the clarification. So, I have a stream composed by a part vapour and a part of liquid. But when I search for the dew and bubble point in the Material Streams tabs, I found values of -273.15ºC.
    How may I find the correct values? Changing the flash method? In other table in the software?

• Daniel Medeiros

Daniel Medeiros - 2016-10-20

Bubble and Dew points aren't calculated by default, you must set this option on the flash algorithm settings. If you enable this option, these calculation will be done internally for every stream on the flowsheet - it is an expensive calculation.

The way I told you to do, if you choose Temperature and Vapor Fraction, the Pressure field in the editor will contain the calculated Bubble Pressure. The same is valid for Temperature if you choose Pressure and Vapor Fraction.

• Ana SR Brasio

Thank you very much for all your answers, Daniel.