Menu

ffmpeg

Help
2019-09-16
2019-09-21
  • Christopher Matthew Spencer

I would like to convert this file to a suitable format for burning with DVDStyler. Using this file directly resulted in stutter.

I am using Linux command line to convert videos with ffmpeg, can you recommend the settings to use for best quality and no stutter?

• Manolito

Manolito - 2019-09-17

DVDStyler does handle AVC/AAC videos, there should be no need to pre-convert the video before feeding it to DVDStyler. But I do have a suspicion why you are getting stutter when using this file directly...

Please have a look at this thread:
    https://sourceforge.net/p/dvdstyler/discussion/318795/thread/2ec7561e5c/#3722

I believe that your resulting DVD has the same frame rate as the source of 23.976 fps. But DVDStyler does not add the necessary RFF flags (soft telecine) to achieve the required presentation frame rate of 29.97 fps. This is a bug in DVDStyler. To make the DVD compliant you need to add these RFF flags to the video elementary stream using a software tool.

In the last post of my linked thread I uploaded a workaround for this issue, but it is for Windows only. I am not familiar with Linux and MacOS so I cannot help you if you use one of these OS.

I am sure that FFMpeg has the necessary params to add soft pulldown, but I could not get it working under DVDStyler.

Cheers
    manolito

Hey manolito,

Thank you for identifying the issue.

It is above my paygrade though.

May I ask if you could post the steps and software needed here? I read that discussion it is very technical and I'm facing a deadline. I volunteered to help the writer/a friend put these on DVDs. He is a senior and I am not a programmer kind of person.

Here is the video if you want to see what might be wrong with it: https://we.tl/t-C5OGUpybxT

I was hoping for a quick fix.

I have Windows 10 running DVDStyler also.

Thank you,
    CMS

• SilverSolver

SilverSolver - 2019-09-21

Manolito, he posted about this problem in the forum where I convinced you to invent the fix (THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!) so theoretically knows about it already.

Christopher Matthen Spencer, see my reply to your post in the forum I just mentioned and I believe something may be helpful. I am curious so I'll see if I can't look at the video and see more conclusively what might be the issue.

Dear friends, this project is completed but I had to use a different solution because I lack the technical smarts to fix this. And time is up on this one for me. I hope soon I will gain more time and knowledge to learn.