Menu

Background audio + Pioneer DVD player problem

Help
WSC4
2022-01-09
2022-02-09
  • WSC4

WSC4 - 2022-01-09

Pioneer DVD Player model: BDP-LX58-K. It is about 6 years old.

I am not sure if this is a DVDStyler bug or a strange bug or manufacturing fault with my Pioneer DVD player for my TV. I have the background audio included in the main menu and in all 3 titlesets. There are 6 videos to choose from in each titleset. When pressing the buttons to go right, left, up or down, they stop and jam. Then they free up and it moves on to the next button or the next button, but will jam again. Pressing the buttons is slow and erratic and like a flat battery in the remote control - but the batteries are not flat in the remote.

Here is the background audio setting.

I then constructed another DVDStyler file with no background audio. Tested this in the Pioneer, and the buttons via the remote control work fast and 100% perfectly. It seems my Pioneer has a bug with background audio.

Any ideas on this please?

• ecodrv

ecodrv - 2022-01-09

When you set "Audio" "AC3" instead of "PCM", how does it work?

• WSC4

WSC4 - 2022-01-12

As to your instructions, I used DVDStyler to encode the background audio. The first was MP2 Audio. The second was AC3 Audio. Tested each DVD out in the Pioneer and it did not make any difference. Navigating with the remote control arrows, and the buttons on the TV screen would jam and was slow and erratic. Exactly like the LPCM background audio.

I did notice, with the NO BACKGROUND AUDIO (and remote navigation OK), it made the menus with a default MP2 audio 64 kb/s bit rate, duration 500 ms. Loop is disabled also.

My background audio files are 30 seconds long and I have loop selected. Also, I am still using 3.2 beta 5 of DVDStyler. Was there a bug with that?

Last edit: WSC4 2022-01-14
  • WSC4

WSC4 - 2022-01-14

Tested the background audio and navigation issue on another Pioneer player (manufactured in 2012) and the same problem happened. I then tested the background audio and navigation on 5 different makes of DVD players and all navigation was fast and 100% correct. It seems to be a DVDStyler / Pioneer compatibility issue.

Update: corrected manufactured to 2012. It is a Pioneer BDP-150

Last edit: WSC4 2022-01-17
  • ecodrv

ecodrv - 2022-01-14

I am using DVDStyler v3.2.1 windows 64bit.
    My Pioneer dvd player is DV-610AV manufactured in 2008.
    I am Japanese.

VMGM menu 1 with AC3 audio (15 seconds .wav) works fine with my Pioneer dvd player.
    I have loop selected.

I am sorry my reply is not useful.

Cheers,
    ecodrv

Last edit: ecodrv 2022-01-14
  • WSC4

WSC4 - 2022-01-19

Thanks for reaching out to me from Tokyo to Melbourne. Your reply is very useful to me, and I am glad you have a Pioneer Player to test.

I switched to another computer I have with Windows 10. I downloaded DVDStyler 3.2.1 64-bit and installed. The only parameter I changed was to 16:9. The rest are at its defaults.

I constructed a bare-bones DVDStyler VMGM menu with a blank MPEG-2 video for testing. I had to put that in as DVDStyler has to have one. The background audio is in also. I have 6 buttons with the navigation arrows set and the parameters are in these images:

Generated the files to a directory to test.

I use MPC-HC version 1.9.18. Navigation: This version uses CTRL + SHIFT + ARROW. Older versions used ALT + ARROW.

Strangely enough, MPC-HC behaves exactly like Pioneer DVD Players (mine). With background audio, the navigation is very, very slow. It takes a good second or more to navigate to a button. Why is this happening?

VLC Media Player 3.0.16: No problems at all and navigating with the arrows was as quick as a flash - with audio background looping!

How many buttons do you have in your VMGM menu or Titleset Menu? Can you test the navigation in MPC-HC please?

Last edit: WSC4 2022-01-20
    • peate9

peate9 - 2022-01-19

Just a wild guess, but try an older version of DDStyler. 3.1 works better for me than the newer version.

• WSC4

WSC4 - 2022-01-20

A good suggestion.

I see that was dated May 2019. I think I was using that on my old Windows XP machine, and I don't think I had this problem back then.

I just tested a DVD that was created and authored with the program PowerDirector in 2010. It has audio background looping in the menus. I tested it out on the Pioneer BDP-LX58-K and Pioneer BDP-150 DVD players. The navigation buttons work very fast and correctly. No lag at all.

This has ruled out the Pioneers being at fault.

• ecodrv

ecodrv - 2022-01-22

@WSC4
    Was that problem solved yet?
    You are in Melbourne!
    I am very busy this week.

peate9's advice sounds good.

My VMGM menu 1 with AC3 audio (15 seconds .wav) works fine with MPC-HC and PotPlayer.
    I have loop selected.
    The VMGM menu 1 is the first page of this template.
    There are 2 buttons.

DVDStyler 3.2.1 64-bit may not like your wav file.
    When you have loop deselected (keeping input the audio file), how does it work?

Cheers,
    ecodrv

• WSC4

WSC4 - 2022-01-23

Thanks for the frameTextAutoWS.png image, but can you resize it to 640 x 480 approximately please? It is too small to see.

DVDStyler 3.2.1 64-bit may not like your wav file.

There is nothing wrong with the wav file and DVDStyler is fine with it. It re-encoded to PCM, AC3 and MP2 just fine. I tried all and the same problem happens.

When you have loop deselected (keeping input the audio file), how does it work?

While the background audio file is playing, the navigation is still very, very slow. It takes about 1 to 1.5 seconds to jump to the next button. When the audio stops playing, it is all back to normal. Pressing buttons is lightning fast. Note again: this only happens with Pioneer Players and MPC-HC.

Unfortunately, DVDStyler 3.1 did not help and has the same problem with this background audio scenario. The same with DVDStyler 3.0, 2.7, and 2.0.

BTW, I use to post on this forum way back in 2019 till September 2020. There was a very knowledgable forum member called manolito. What has happened to him?

Last edit: WSC4 2022-01-23
  • ecodrv

ecodrv - 2022-01-23

@WSC4
    I am sorry I did not understand you well.
    My English is not very good.

I have loop deselected.

I use MPC-HC version 1.9.18.
    With background audio, the navigation is very slow. It takes about 1 second to navigate to a button.
    The navigation is slow while MPC-HC is playing background audio.
    But the navigation is not slow after MPC-HC played background audio.

I use PotPlayer version 1.7.21486.
    The navigation is a little slow while PotPlayer is playing background audio.
    But the navigation is not slow after PotPlayer played background audio.

My Pioneer player.
    The navigation is not slow while the player is playing background audio.
    The navigation is not slow after the player played background audio.

This is all I know.
    I also hope that manolito will be back soon.

Cheers,
    ecodrv

• WSC4

WSC4 - 2022-01-24

Thanks for all the info and testing.

In your VIDEO_TS folder, there is VIDEO_TS.VOB. Can you open that in MediaInfo and export it to a text file and upload it here please?

I need to see if it is similar to this:

Video
    ID : 224 (0xE0)
    Format : MPEG Video
    Format version : Version 2
    Format profile : Main@Main
    Format settings : BVOP
    Format settings, BVOP : Yes
    Format settings, Matrix : Default
    Format settings, GOP : Variable
    Format settings, picture structure : Frame
    Duration : 33 ms

Scan type : Interlaced
    Scan order : Bottom Field First
    Compression mode : Lossy
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 3.891
    Time code of first frame : 00:00:00:00
    Time code source : Group of pictures header
    GOP, Open/Closed : Closed

• ecodrv

ecodrv - 2022-01-24

DVDStyler v3.2.1 windows 64bit.
    Mediainfo v21.09 shows this about VIDEO_TS.VOB.
    There is only 1 VMGM menu in VMGM. It has background audio(about 15 seconds AC3).

Video
    ID : 224 (0xE0)
    Format : MPEG Video
    Format version : Version 2
    Format settings, BVOP : No
    Format settings, GOP : N=15
    Duration : 14 s 915 ms
    Bit rate mode : Variable
    Bit rate : 451 kb/s
    Maximum bit rate : 9 000 kb/s
    Width : 720 pixels
    Height : 480 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 16:9
    Frame rate : 29.970 (30000/1001) FPS
    Standard : NTSC
    Color space : YUV
    Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
    Bit depth : 8 bits
    Scan type : Progressive
    Compression mode : Lossy
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.044
    Time code of first frame : 00:00:00:00
    Time code source : Group of pictures header
    GOP, Open/Closed : Open
    GOP, Open/Closed of first frame : Closed
    Stream size : 821 KiB (68%)

Cheers,
    ecodrv

• WSC4

WSC4 - 2022-01-26

My MediaInfo was from a commercial DVD VIDEO_TS.VOB. Your upload is almost identical to my DVDStyler VIDEO_TS.VOB

I have 100s of commercial music DVDs that I have got over the years. These are from top studios like Warner Bros. MGM. Universal et cetera. Most have background audio in the menus in loop. My Pioneer Players have no problem navigating via the remote and navigation is fast.

Their VIDEO_TS.VOB or VTS_01_0.VOB could be main menu or titleset menu. I have found these differences compared to DVDStyler menus using MediaInfo and wonder if this why navigation is correct and fast.

Format settings : CustomMatrix / BVOP
    Format settings, Matrix : Custom
    Format settings, GOP : Variable
    GOP, Open/Closed : Closed

Format settings : CustomMatrix / BVOP
    Format settings, Matrix : Custom
    Format settings, GOP : M=3, N=15

Format settings, GOP : M=3, N=13

Format settings, GOP : M=2, N=7

UPDATE: February the 7th.

Looking at their VOB files and the format has BVOP yes. GOP m=X n=X. And are interlaced.

Format settings, GOP : M=3, N=12
    Bit rate mode : Constant
    Scan type : Interlaced
    Scan order : Top Field First

I re-encoded to those formats using FFmpeg and DVDStyler tools in the bin folder. Got the VOB files matching with background audio. Burnt a disc and tried it out in the Pioneer. Big waste of time. The remote navigation is still exactly the same – slow and will not respond on some presses.

Instead of audio in the VMGM menu and Titleset menu, can Advanced Command Scripting be used? Pre Commands: i.e.call menu entry root;jump menu entry audio.

Last edit: WSC4 2022-02-07
  • WSC4

WSC4 - 2022-02-09

I just installed DVDAuthorGUI which uses the same engine as DVDStyler: dvdauthor.exe. But this is dated 2011. Set up a similar menu of 6 titles with background audio playing. No problems with remote control navigation. It was fast with no hesitations at all.

With DVDStyler, if I remove the audio file in a menu, and then have some sort of script command in either the Pre, Post, Cells or Actions? The command would call an audio file. Is this possible?

Last edit: WSC4 2022-02-10