Menu

Safe TV area

Help
WSC4
2021-12-23
2021-12-26
  • WSC4

WSC4 - 2021-12-23

I have the Safe TV Area showing and you can see it as a darker grey on the edges and top and bottom.

I decided to go over it and have placed images and text past the boundaries. It looks fine in MPC and VLC and also on my modern widescreen LCD TV which is only 6 years old.

I just need to know if this Safe TV Area is almost obsolete and mainly used only for old CRT TVs?

• peate9

peate9 - 2021-12-23

I like people who ask questions and answers them in one post.

• WSC4

WSC4 - 2021-12-26

I am pleased that you like those that answer their own posts. :-)

However, I did not answer it. I asked the question is this Safe TV Area almost obsolete and mainly used only for old CRT TVs?

Doing a search on this, I find it is "NOT" obsolete and must never be removed from DVDStyler's options. I tested the above VMGM Menu burnt to a DVD on a friend's Hitachi widescreen LCD TV manufactured in 2003. The images are placed on the edge of the screen, cut off, looking unsightly and unacceptable. Also in the home is an old Sony Trinitron 36" CRT TV dated early 2000 in great condition and still working. I will need to hook up a DVD player and see how images are placed from the edge and top.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overscan

If going a bit over the boundaries of the Safe TV Area, MPC, VLC and other computer players should not be accepted as the final generated DVD files that will look correct on all TVs

Last edit: WSC4 2021-12-26
  • peate9

peate9 - 2021-12-26

First things first. When designing a web page, disc cover, etc. text should always stay away from the edges. unless it's for artistic reasons. That's why you have borders, and should stick to them. Old cathode ray tv's were all 4:3 ratio, hardly used today. You get a lot more space on a 16:9 page and can stay away from the edges. When I make a DVD in Styler, I fill the entire page with graphics, usually a single picture, and use the borders as a guide for the text or buttons for menu navigation.

I use Power DVD to test and play my projects on my PC and watch on either my monitor or a Viewsonic projector onto a 100" screen. (New toy from last summer. full HD @1080p.) Looks fantastic playing mkv or mp4 files, or watching TV.

So far, I haven't seen any display problems on my DVD's made in Styler, and they also look good on my friend's el cheapo DVD player out putting in a Sony tv with HDMI.