Menu

Strange ISO DVD image files sizes - possible bug?

Help
2022-11-12
2023-01-02
  • Steve Harris

Steve Harris - 2022-11-12

I'm trying to make as high a quality DVD from 40 video clips as possible, totally 87 minutes. So I've tried different Mb/s values to try to create ISO image files as large as possible without being too large for a 4.7GB DVD.

What makes no sense though is that when I change to various custom Mbps, the resulting file sizes jump wildly.

When I generate ISO files from the exact same project, I get:
    dropdown "Custom" set a 7500 kbps, ISO image is 4,994,910 KB (way too large for 4.7GB DVD)
    dropdown "Custom" set a 7100 kbps, ISO image is 4,733,972 KB (way too large for 4.7GB DVD)
    dropdown selected at 7000 kbps, ISO image is 4,681,530 KB (still slightly too large to burn on a 4.7GB DVD)
    dropdown "Custom" set at 6900 kbps, ISO image is 2,713,716 KB (Way smaller than I'd expect for only being 100 kbps less!)
    dropdown "auto" sets to 6828 kbps, ISO image is 2,713,716 KB (exactly the same as 6900 kbps!)
    dropdown "Custom" set at 6800 kbps, ISO image is 2,713,716 KB (again exactly the same file size!)

Why the huge drop in ISO file size going from 7000 kbps to 6900 kbps?? And why is ISO file size the same for all those various sizes below 7Mbps?

Can anyone shed light on what's going on here? Is this a known bug in DVDStyler?

• Derek

Derek - 2022-12-08

I don't know if there are fixes, but my latest effort began with a selection of 24 clips totalling 4.4 GB size and would not fit on the DVD (available space shows as 4.3 GB, even though a blank disc should be 4.7 GB).
    I removed some clips, repeated the iso burn several times and the same problem occurred. I now note that the file size displayed has not reduced despite removing clips and my ever-decreasing set of clips, now down to 20 is still showing 4.4 GB and thus burning an image OR generating a folder for a different burning programme still produces a file above the size that would fit a DVD. So...as above...
    ANY IDEAS appreciated !

• Ian Davidson

Ian Davidson - 2023-01-02

I assembled a DVD containing a number of clips totalling 87 minutes. DVDstyler showed me that I had used 87/120. No problem.
    I added subtitles to 10 of the clips. The subtitle files themselves took 66kB. Adding those files to the DVD evidently takes up a lot of space as DVDstyler refused to render the DVD as there was too much to fit on a DVD.
    It would be useful if, in addition to telling me how many minutes I was using, it also told me how much of the 4.7GB I was using - and therefore, how much I needed to get rid of when it goes over.