Menu

Help with Channel Parameters

Help
Solomon
2021-01-18
2021-01-19
  • Solomon

Solomon - 2021-01-18

Could someone help me understand what the channel parameters mean?
    1. Ro
    2. Tau
    3. Phi
    4. Fd

These parameters are defined in the following files
    1. model/ch/ch_dvbtpscen/t2_ch_dvbtpscen_getch_dvbtp.m
    2. model/ch/ch_dvbtpscen/t2_ch_dvbtpscen_getch_dvbtf.m
    3. model/ch/ch_dvbtpscen/t2_ch_dvbtpscen_getch_awgn.m

How should I interpret them?
    Also, where could I find the k-factor used in the Rician model? I cannot find it anywhere, and I doubt the k in t2chdvbtpscengetchdvbtf.m is the k-factor.

Thanks!

• Oliver Haffenden

Solomon,

The channel models are defined in the DVB-T2 Implementation Guidelines (TS 102 831 clause 14.1. However, the Rayleigh (P1) and Rice (F1) channels originally came from the Annex B of the DVB-T specification EN 300 744.

Ro, Tau and Phi are the relative amplitude, delay and phase values for each path and represent the corresponding Greek symbols in the two ETSI documents, except that Phi in the CSP actually corresponds to θ (theta) in the documents.

Fd is the Doppler frequency and is zero for the Rice and Rayleigh channels (which are both static channels). It comes into play in the TU-6 channel.

The Ricean factor K used for P1 is stated in EN 300 744 as "K=10dB". It should be straightforward to verify this using the formula for K given in that document.

The F1 and P1 channels are described as "Ricean "and "Rayleigh" respectively, but in fact they represent a single realisation of such a channel, i.e. a particular set of delays, amplitudes and phases for the paths. (Channel simulation was very computationally intensive in the mid-1990s when DVB-T was specified and defining static channels made it easier to compare performance. The two channels were retained for DVB-T2 in order to provide for clear comparisons between the two standards).

Hope that helps!

Ollie.