Menu

Compiling dune legacy - SDL2

Help
2021-04-18
2021-05-14
  • Stefan van der Wel

Hi guys

I'm trying to re-setup a development environment for dune legacy, this time on windows. Last time I was compiling was when me and Richie release the last stable release at Christmas 2016.

I can't get the compiler to work with SDL2 and I can't remember what I did to make it work last time (all be it on osx xcode). I have downloaded the latest SDL2 source, I've got the dll, I've got the headers but I can't figure out what I need to do on the build confuguration to make it actually build!

I've tried botht he codeblocks and visual studio projects. With visual studio its now complaining about SDL_mixer.h after I added the SDL include into the project header.

From memory (all be it 5 years ago) you need some header files and the sdl2.dll and it shoudkw rok but..

Pain in the ass for an architect who spends most of time time just drawinf boxes and arrows, not actually coding.

• Stefan van der Wel

Thanks @shazwazza ! I'm now compiling. @shazwazza

Having problems with Windows compile, I'd recommend following shazwazza 's guide in his merge request for visual studio. I'll commit a VS 2019 version once I've cleaned up some of the project properties and linked libraries.

Shannon's instructions:
    https://sourceforge.net/p/dunelegacy/code/merge-requests/10/

👍

Last edit: Stefan van der Wel 2021-04-24
  • Henric Jungheim

Henric Jungheim - 2021-05-14

This is a bit after-the-fact, but is there some good reason for sticking with separate build systems for every platform and IDE? CMake works reasonably well on Windows, macOS, and Linux. Even Visual Studio supports it directly these days. Just open the directory and it will find the CMakeLists.txt and manage Ninja-based build files automatically (no MSBuild .cxxproj files at all). It also makes integration with other projects simpler (most can be used with a simple "add_subdirectory()").

I've got CMake set up for my side project fork and it works with both VS2019 (targeting x86, x64, and ARM64) and Ubuntu (or, it usually works with Ubuntu, but I see I've broken something recently).
    https://github.com/henricj/dunelegacy