Menu

Dune crashes on start. (WinXP SP3)

Help
2018-05-20
2022-02-25
  • Michael Wünsch

Michael Wünsch - 2018-05-20

Hi I just installed Dune Legacy on my virtual machine running WinXP with service pack 3. When I start dune I get the following error message:

"The procedure entry point _ecvt_s could not be located in the dynamic link library msvcrt.dll"

On my pc with Win10 it worked without any problem.
    I already tried to just copy the dll from my win10 system into the dune folder, but still I receive the same error.
    Is there anything I can do to get rid of the crash?
    Thank you!

• RichieQ

RichieQ - 2018-05-21

Hi, this seems to be a problem of the used fmt library (see https://github.com/fmtlib/fmt/issues/423 ). I just updated to fmt version 3.0.2 which should solve this problem thus the next Dune Legacy version should not run into this issue.

• Michael Wünsch

Michael Wünsch - 2018-05-21

Awesome! When will the next version be released? If I see it correct, the last version was released 1,5 years ago. Do I have to wait another year until it released?

• RichieQ

RichieQ - 2018-05-27

Hm, it's difficult to say how long it will take for the next release...

• Jan Tore Eliassen

Hi there Michael...

I experienced the same thing with V.096.4 under "Win-XP", only I found out fairly recently myself.
    A bit late to class as the saying goes...

I loved "Dune 2" back in the day and still do.
    I've always wanted a way to play it on newer hardware up through the years.
    I was pleasantly surprised when I discovered "Dune Legacy".
    And how seemingly simple it is to get to play "Dune 2" again, only with updated graphics and a very welcomed addition getting to group units like newer RTS-games.
    And yet, still pertain the soul and essence of the original "Dune 2".

If you're like me and don't care all that much about the graphics...
    There is "DosBox" of course, but it won't give you the options like grouping units as "Dune Legacy" does.

My friend got it to run just fine under "Win-10" just like you, but I ran into the same crash that you did running it under "Win-XP".

I know that this is a fairly old thread now, but I found that V.0.96.5alpha and V.0.97.0alpha only supports "Win-10" at the moment.
    I get why...
    Seeing as the whole point of of "Dune Legacy" was to create a way for people to get to play and experience "Dune 2" on newer systems.
    Although I have to admit that I find it more than a bit ironic, getting the game to run on newer systems exclude the possibility to run it on older systems.

Adding the fact that "Dune 2" was a DOS-game back in the day, a bit odd that getting it to run on "Win-10" and now even "Win-11" makes it tricky to run it under earlier version of Windows.
    But I'm a very patient guy, so I can hold out a bit longer, hoping like you that there at least will be a version able to run under "Win-XP" or newer in the future.

With that said...
    From what I've seen of "Dune Legacy" thus far, I have to say that I'm impressed.
    Unlike the graphics extender mod for "TES:Morrowind" which in my honest opinion changed too much of the original for it to feel like "TES:Morrowind".
    It ironically made the game shorter, and not a "1:1"-facelift like one would expect.

I'm definitely gonna keep an eye on this "Dune Legacy"-project...
    It looks very promising, very promising indeed.

Last edit: Jan Tore Eliassen 2022-02-24
  • Henric Jungheim

Henric Jungheim - 2022-02-25

The main complication with supporting Windows XP is that Microsoft dropped support for targeting WinXP in Visual Studio 2019 (except for a work-around that let VS2019 use the special XP toolset supplied with VS2017): Configuring Programs for Windows XP

Additionally, the last Windows SDK that supported targeting WinXP was the one released along with Windows 7 SP1.

Because of that, building for WinXP means that include/library bugs that have been fixed since the Win7 SP1 SDK and MSVC compiler bugs that have been fixed since the v141_xp toolset will impact not just folks running on XP, but anyone else that uses such a build as well. (Clang or GCC might have more recent compilers that still support XP..?)

Note that dependencies like the SDL libraries would then also need to be compiled for WinXP.

For perspective, consider that XP SP3 was roughly contemporary with RHEL 5 and OS X Leopard.

Last edit: Henric Jungheim 2022-03-21