Prompt window scrolls to wrong position

Developers
2009-07-28
2013-04-26
  • Mervin Beng

Mervin Beng - 2009-07-28

I am using the latest (3.11.0) version on ubuntu and windows, and see the following problem:

In a Python window, if the output of a command is long (eg. os.listdir('.') for a big directory, at the end of the output, the screen not scrolled to the bottom ('>>>') of the panel. From then on, that panel becomes very difficult to use, as the screen is always scrolled up after each command.

After hunting around the source, I suspect that somehow self.ScrollToLine(....) is not working as expected in drPrompt.py. However self.GoToPos works, and I have implemented this workaround which works for me:

drPrompt.py, add at line 300, before event.Skip():
             if keycode == wx.WXK_RETURN:
                 self.GotoPos(self.GetCurrentPos())

This makes the interpreter much easier to use, as the window and cursor will always remain at the bottom of the screen after print output.

• Mervin Beng

Mervin Beng - 2009-07-28

Html has gobbled up my spaces. The code should be:

drPrompt.py, add at line 300, before event.Skip():
      ........if keycode == wx.WXK_RETURN:
      ...........self.GotoPos(self.GetCurrentPos())

• Franz Steinhaeusler

BTW: I have seen, you show interest (also because of the former postings) in drpyhton. Do you want to become a project member? If so, I can give you svn write access.

• Mervin Beng

Mervin Beng - 2009-07-28

You might regret that offer! :)

I am not so proficient -- only very determined to learn when I see this type of problem.

We have a batch of students using drPython as a 'beginner's IDE', and I get a little irritated by these little issues. There are many better programmers in the school. For the moment I will check out the latest code, and give it a test drive. I will check if anyone else in the team has been looking into drPython source.

• Franz Steinhaeusler

Thanks anyway ;) The project is not very active anymore. I have a bunch of bug fixes, which I also want to check in. I add your patch and want to release a 3.11.1 soon.

• Franz Steinhaeusler

Thanks for your report. Alas, I have not to much time now.  I have also made some changes, and I hope I can check in into svn these and your patches. It would be real time to make a new release. ;)

• Franz Steinhaeusler

One more thing:

You said, you are using it on windows and linux, very good. If you adust the default encoding to cp-1252 (on linux, you would have to patch the code for that, because it is not visible and you open then a pyhton interpreter, and type something like print("anything"), on both (windows and linux) drpython crashes. I'm only curious, if that happen also on your pc. It is a very annoying bug for me. I have looked quite a time, but I found no solution for that.

Just for the info: I haven't heard from out project leader (Dan) much for a long time, so for some coding things, I cannot explain everything. For example not, why cp1252 is on windows, but not in linux for drpython.

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks