Menu

P25 Decoding, OP25 or SDRTunk ?

NDXsW
2020-09-21
2020-09-21
  • NDXsW

NDXsW - 2020-09-21

i had thought i read on rtl-sdr.com that DragonOS now comes with OP25. though i do see in the menu SDRTrunk.

is SDRTrunk preferred over OP25 or are these apples & oranges?

newbie, really glad you put all this together!!

• Cemaxecuter

Cemaxecuter - 2020-09-21

So OP25 was included in thr slightly older DragonOS LTS, but when i switched to DragonOS Focal and gnuradio 3.8/python3 i wanted to hold off on op25 till i was sure it worked with thr updates. SDRTrunk on the other hand seemed to work perfectly. To be honest, im not sure what is lost or gained by having one or the other. They seemed to do the same thing. Please let me know if you find something Op25 has that Sdrtrunk doesnt. hopefully ill be able to add both.

• NDXsW

NDXsW - 2020-09-21

that's good. saves me having to attempt to install op25. i could not get it to compile/install on ParrotOS that had python2 & python3 installed. i think, sdrtunk since 2019 now can decode phase II also.

via rtl-sdr.com article i went to this site/link to get a heads up on op25 versus etc decoders...
      https://www.hagensieker.com/wordpress/2018/11/19/a-tale-of-two-decoders-op25-dsdplus/

note: same site has a tutorial using sdrtrunk for P25 trunk scanning.

i'll keep looking about from time to time to see what diff there might be. but i'm new, so to speak, to sdr, so some of it won't make sense to me.

seems many get great results from sdrtrunk and its interface looks better, at least to a learning newbie. going to dive into that tutorial on P25 trunk scanning. thanks for the reply...

• Cemaxecuter

Cemaxecuter - 2020-09-21

Glad you're enjoying it though. I've been having fun and lesrning a lot along the way.

• Cemaxecuter

Cemaxecuter - 2020-09-21

This is fhe version I'm keeping an eye on. I figure once everything is all set for the newer python etc. I'd add it back in to the newer DragonOS Focal.

Last edit: Cemaxecuter 2020-09-21