installation problem

Help
Mike Reed
2003-08-21
2013-05-08
  • Mike Reed

Mike Reed - 2003-08-21

Hi,
    I have Xemacs-21.1.14 and some directories left over from a removed installation of emacs.  I downloaded doxymacs 1.5.0 and configured/made/installed as per instructions with no problems.
    It installed the lisp files in:
    /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/
    When I ran xemacs it couldn't seem to find doxymacs.  No Options->Customize->Emacs->Programming-Tools->Doxymacs
    and nothing with Alt-x.  I tried adding
    (setq load-path (cons "/usr/share/emacs/site-list" load-path))
    to my .emacs but it seemed to make things worse.
    Is there some trick to installing doxymacs when you only have Xemacs installed and not emacs.  The thing is, I usually add things to my Xemacs using the package management so this is all a bit new to me.
    Thanks for any help.
    Mike.

• Ryan T. Sammartino

You can pass various options to "configure" for XEmacs only install.

Try ./configure --help, and pay particular attention to the EMACS env. variable and --with-lispdir.

Lemme know if that helps or not.

• Mike Reed

Mike Reed - 2003-08-27

In a word, no.

I have to admit I am no xemacs admin/developer.  The problem seemed to me that xemacs (I have 21.1.14) adds functionality via packages, so how does one add functionality with some non-packaged lisp (I had a look at how one creates xemacs packages and I really haven't got time for that).  I couldn't find one piece of information that described how to do this but after reading lots of stuff on the xemacs.org website I have managed to cobble something together that works.

The best guess as to where to put non-packaged lisp which wasn't official xemacs was:

{prefix}/lib/xemacs/site-packages/lisp

So I put doxymacs.el(c) and xml-parse.el(c) there  (normally non-official xemacs packages would go in subdirectories in this directory).  Unfortunately, xemacs did not automatically load these files.  I had to use meta-x: load-library: doxymacs, but at least xemacs found the files!  To have it loaded automatically for all users I created a file:

{prefix}/lib/xemacs/site-packages/lisp/site-start.el

and put in it:

(load "doxymacs")

Now I have the functionality when I start xemacs including Options->Customize->Emacs->Programming->Tools->Doxymacs.  If there are any xemacs admin/developers out there who can tell me if I have done anything wrong please let me know.  Please don't tell me I should have created a package, I already know that.

Mike.

• Mike Reed

Mike Reed - 2003-08-29

PS.  I forgot to ask.  Given what is in your INSTALL instructions I was wondering what the difference between
          (require 'doxymacs)
          and
          (load "doxymacs")
          is?

• txomon

txomon - 2012-01-17

I also have the same problem. I am using the GNU emacs provided by emacs Ubuntu package. I achieved installing things in /usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/ by doing:

./configure -with-lispdir /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp && make && sudo make install

But it doesn't load at the beginning,  I tryed via M-x load-library and doxymacs, but doesn't show up. I also tried by loading all the rest but they don't show up.

Help is welcome.