( sorry for offensive title )
This project[s](?) look[s](?) very promising :-)
But there is an important question (+ some more) left:
>>> Why should one use this ? Does the world really need one more video codec ? <<<
To me the answer seems YES, but I'd like to see some arguments on a prominent place on the project page.
- Why should I use DIR/SCHR rather than WMV ? Obviously, it's the license ;-)
- Why should I use DIR/SCHR rather than SNOW ? Seem to be similar, please, explain ...
- Why should I use DIR/SCHR rather than Theora ? Better quality / smaller files / better efficiency ? But how much does it "cost" ? How many times is this slower (enc/dec) than than Theora ? A comparison would be needed: DIR/SCHR against SNOW, THEORA, WMV, XDIXV, ... license, enc / dec performance, file size / quality, ...
Do you intend to obsolete Theora ? For it it works somewhat, but:
- FFMPEG2THEORA is buggy and the bugs don't want to leave :-(
- MENCODER can't encode Theora !?!?!?
- No other encoders, lack of players / decoders :-(
- There are various complaints about "poor quality" of Theora around :-(
Is DIR/SCHR going to become useful soon ? Supported in MPLAYER & MENCODER 1.0RC3 ?
Will there be other encoders ? FFMPEG2DIRAC ?
Is there / will there be a simplest (tiny, open source, plain C) encoder from frames (raw, BMP, maybe PNG) and a simplest decoder (to frames) ? I would appreciate such :-)
What's the difference between Dirac and Schroedinger ? SCHR has a better language (plain C), better license (MIT), and better performance - any usefulness of DIR left ?
IMHO the DIR FAQ and SCHR FAQ do leave space for improvements: merge them, update, add info ... :-)
What container can/should be used with DIR/SCHR ? MPEG and AVI are disqualified for me of course ... OGG ? Does a "raw" DIR/SCHR fileformat exist (without sound) ?
Fast reply: MediaCoder is your friend ! (http://mediacoder.sf.net/)
Note: remember that we're in the open source scene, so don't ask what we can do for you but ask yourself how can YOU speedup/expand the project's goals.
So please, try to post *constructive* critics, not just pessimist opinions...
Thanks for fast answer ;-)
> Fast reply: MediaCoder is your friend ! (http://mediacoder.sf.net/)
OK ... thanks for the hint ... but a GUI'ed bloat with installer for Vista64 is not what I prefer / can use at all :-(
Something like MPLAYER / MENCODER / FFMPEG2THEORA / DUMPVID ...
> So please, try to post *constructive* critics, not just pessimist opinions...
It not that pessimistic ... just 1.0 is out and nothing to test really ... so I have to wait for inclusion in MP/ME and a following release :-(
Support for Dirac using the Dirac and Schroedinger libraries is now available in FFmpeg.
Log in to post a comment.