Menu

Static Interfaces/Listening Ports

Help
Gary
2007-01-03
2013-03-12
  • Gary

Gary - 2007-01-03

I am having trouble getting the dhcp server to run and get the message that Static Interfaces/Listening Ports not available. I am running the DHCP portion (DNS disabled) in standalone mode (Windows 98) so apparently logging is not available according to the ini file.  I get the same error tring to run either the DNS or the DHCP server alone.

I was able to run another DHCP server (it seemed to run ok logging message traffic so it seems that the port should be available), but it didn't support PXE so I thought I'd try this one.

Any helpful suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

• Achal Dhir

Achal Dhir - 2007-01-07

Pl download and try the version 2.1, which had been successfully tested on Win98. Vesion 4.0 has not yet been tested in Win98, as I do not have machine with Win98. Let me know if you still have problem.

Thanks

• Achal Dhir

Achal Dhir - 2007-01-09

I have also tested 4.0 on Windows98, it works flawless. Looks like you have not configured your network card with static IP, which is a must for this server to listen.

• klausr2005

klausr2005 - 2007-07-18

Hi,

I just tried out this SW on Windows 2000 Professional system and it works very well. For setting up DHCP/DNS with low effort, it is the best SW I found.
      But I also have a question.

I also saw the problem "Static Interfaces/Listening Ports not available". It also appears, if the network interface card is configured with a static IP address, but the network cable is unplugged when the DHCP/DNS server starts up. Furthermore, if I have the network cable unplugged and run an "ipconfig" command, windows does not show the IP address but reports something like "cable unplugged ..". It looks like the DHCP/DNS server and ipconfig use the same API call.

I want to run the DHCP/DNS server as a service that is automatically started by Windows during startup. But if windows starts up and there is no cable connected the DHCP/DNS service will never be started because the DCHP/DNS server reports "Static Interfaces/Listening Ports not available" and terminates. Is there a possibility, e.g. some option in the ini file, that allows the DHCP/DNS server to start, even if a cable is not connected at startup time?

Of course, normally a DCHP server should always be connected to the network, so that the problem does not occur. But I want to use it just to get maintenance access to that machine. The DHCP/dns server makes it very easy to access the machine, because I simply configure the accessing PC as DHCP client and I can use <hostname>.<domainname> to access the PC.

Any ideas?
      Thanks a lot and regards
      Klaus

• Achal Dhir

Achal Dhir - 2007-07-20

This version being multihome multisubnet version, does not listen on 0.0.0.0 hence cannot bind unless a static interface is active.

In your case, where interfaces are not initially active, You may goto AdminTools->Services->Dual DHCP DNS Service->Properties->Recovery and specify time for FirstFailure, SecondFailure, Subsequest Failure to "ReStart" after say 15 minutes.

This way every 15 minutes, attempt will be made to start the service and if interfaces are active, service would start.

Hope this will resolve the issue, if not you can use Version 2.1 which listens on 0.0.0.0 and would start even if interfaces are not active.

• Klaus

Klaus - 2007-07-22

Thanks for your answer. I tried to let windows restart the DHCP service after the initial failure, but this failed. Obviously, it is necessary that this service has to start successfully, when windows tries to start it the first time. If not, windows does not restart the service.
      I've written a small "guard" script that regularly checks whether the service is running. If not, it tries to start the DHCP/DNS service. With this small workaround, the DHCP/DNS service does exactly what I need.

thanks and regards
      Klaus

• Achal Dhir

Achal Dhir - 2007-07-22

Yeah, recover/restart was not working properly. Please download Version 5.12 file and retry. It would work.

• Klaus

Klaus - 2007-07-23

Great! I tried it out and it works fine now.

Thanks a lot and regards
      Klaus

• Matt Schuckmann

Matt Schuckmann - 2007-08-10

I'm trying to test out this software (ver  5.1 Windows Build 5.1400) on a XP Pro system and I keep getting this same message no matter what I do.
      The Network Adaptor has a static ip addres and it's plugged in, here are the contents of my DualServer.ini file.

[SERVICES]
      DHCP

[LISTEN-ON]

[LOGGING]
      Errors

One thing I'm not sure of is where to place the ini file. The documentation says /etc but that's probably for linux/unix what about windows?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
      Matt S.

• Achal Dhir

Achal Dhir - 2007-08-13

For Windows, the ini file needs to be in directory where exe file is (DualServer.exe).

Please check that interface you specify for [LISTEN-ON] is active. Alternatively you can initially try without specifying any interface here and let it auto detect the interfaces.

• Matt Schuckmann

Matt Schuckmann - 2007-08-13

Thanks for the reply.
      Turns out the problem was the interface I was trying to run the server on has the static IP address set as the Alternate Configuration (under the TCPIP properties dialog), the default configuration was set to obtain an IP address from a DHCP server. The thing was there was no DHCP server so it was configuring its self with static IP address per the Alternate Configuration, but for some reason this software didn't like that.

Matt S.

• Harlan Crystal

Harlan Crystal - 2007-12-19

Hi, I'm having the same problem as Klaus from 2007-07-18, but I'm running version "5.2Beta Windows Building 5.200."  According to the posts here this problem should have stopped happening after version 5.1.  Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?  The machine I plan to user DualServer on will have it's ethernet unplugged until a later time, so there is not interface and static IP for it to bind to at start up.

• Harlan Crystal

Harlan Crystal - 2007-12-20

Excuse me, I must have read Achal Dhir's post backward.  I thought that this problem was fixed with later versions, when he was saying to use an earlier version, which I will now try.

I don't suppose it would be possible to make this possible in the current version?  It seems fairly reasonable to allow the service to start up even if there are no available network interface and wait for some network interfaces to make themselves known at a later time.

• Achal Dhir

Achal Dhir - 2008-01-12

Version 5.2Beta or any later version does support restarting. Just goto Recovery Tab of Services and set to Restart on First, Second and Subsequent failures. It would start when an Interface with Static IP address is available.