Menu

A couple of suggestions

Help
2006-07-09
2013-03-12
  • Theodor Ciobanu

Theodor Ciobanu - 2006-07-09

First of all, let me start by saying Great work! I was looking for something small, fast and reliable for Windows, and this is just that. But there are a couple of things I would sure like to see implemented:
    1) Keep cache of solved domain names between sessions (While running in verbose mode, I noticed that the cache is rebuilt at each start) (I keep this running on a server that does not get 24/7 uptime)
    2) Keep a log of what's going on when running as a service

Thank you! Keep up the good work!

• Theodor Ciobanu

Theodor Ciobanu - 2006-07-09

Another thing which I discovered (while trying to make some modifications to the source code), is that the source code produces some compiler warnings which should not be ignored. For example, line 2581 of DualServer.cpp is

printf("Warning section [%s] Invalid option %s, ignored\n", name);

(the format string has two parameters and we only give it one). Another thing that I found out is that I just cant get a working server out of compiling that source code (I'm using VC6). I'll check the CVS, maybe I'll be able to find something useful there.

• Achal Dhir

Achal Dhir - 2006-07-10

The reason, why resolved DNS are not saved is that they expire within seconds become useless quickly. You should use MinGW or Borland compiler, as VC6 does not port iphlpapi.h with VC6. I will correct the sourcecode mistake, but MinGW does not produce error. You can definitly create working server with sourcecode. It will produce DualServer.exe,which will only run with -v option, if windows service is already installed.

• Theodor Ciobanu

Theodor Ciobanu - 2006-07-11

Hmm... I'm not having any problems with the precompiled version available for download, so I guess I'll just keep on trying to make it work on VC6 as well.:)

"The reason, why resolved DNS are not saved is that they expire within seconds become useless quickly." Does this apply to external names as well, or just the dynamic ones, resolved through the DHCP? (If it's sound like a dumb question, I'm sorry, bare with me, please, it's not my field of expertise) If it's for both of them, then indeed it's pointless. If not, it may speed things up a little bit, as the cache would not have to be rebuilt on each startup.

• Achal Dhir

Achal Dhir - 2006-09-12

There is exiry for every dns answer, which may be few seconds to few hours. DHCP Alotted names too will have it equal to lease time.