Menu

PXE on one NIC, just DHCP on second NIC

Help
2008-07-05
2013-03-12
  • Milt Miller

Milt Miller - 2008-07-05

My server has two NICs with different sub-nets (194.0.0.xxx/182.1.11.xxx).  I have  PXE and TFTP services running, and want to use the 194 JUST FOR DHCP and the 182 JUST FOR PXE boot.  My current DHCP(Tellurian) does not support this and conficts with Dual DHCP on port 67.  I'd like to replace the Tellurian with Dual DHCP.  The streaming software applicationIt recommends configuring the DHCP to use options 60, 66, and 67.

Can Dual DHCP support and how do I configure?

I assume I can set up two separate ranges one for the 194/DHCP and one for the 182/PXE.

I've tested just the DHCP and it works fine and will set it up on the 194 range.

The 182/PXE will include Boot_File=xxxxxxx, Next_Server=xxxxxxxxx. 

Do I need:  Boot_File_Size=xxx?  Is this in bytes or 512 blocks?

Do I need: Root_Path=/?  Should this point to the root location of the boot file or what?

Thanks,

• Achal Dhir

Achal Dhir - 2008-07-06

Hi

Thanks for posting.

For PXE Boot, normally, only Boot_File=xxxxxxx, Next_Server=xxxxxxxxx are needed. I am not sure if these options (Root_Path and Boot_File_Size) are required for your case, it depends on TFTP Server also. Root_Path may be needed if this file is not on TFTPServer's root directory and Boot_File_Size option is normally needed if TFTP Server do not support TSIZE option.

Option 60 can be specified only as hex option, it should be specified like:-

60=xx:xx:xx:xx:xx...  ..xx:xx (You can use any tool to convert string to hex, make sure hex bytes are separated by :)

Option 67 is same as Boot_File and option 66 (TFTP_Server_Name) is not needed, it is name of TFTP Server (not IP), Next_Server is IP of TFTP Server, which is needed.

Hope this clarifies.

Thanks
      Achal