Menu

Use current local Windows host DNS configuration for DNS forwarding

Help
2020-01-13
2020-01-14
  • Maarten Boekhold

[UPDATE] DualServer already does this, so you can safely ignore this complete post

Hi,

I'm looking for a way to have this server use the current Windows DNS servers for forwarding requests. Whenever the Windows network settings change, the server needs to update its (list of) DNS server(s) to use for forwarding.

The use case is with Hyper-V VMs on a HyperV NATSwitch. Hyper-V itself does not provide any DHCP services and/or DNS forwarding services, unlike VMWare. So I'm looking for a DHCP/DNS server that will provide DHCP/DNS services to VMs, and that can transparantly refresh its list of "DNS forward" servers whenever the Windows network details change (eg. a laptop moving from network to network, or when a VPN connection is started/stopped). It's probably a scenario that many people are struggling with: how to migrate from VMWare Workstation to Hyper-V.

Windows has an API that can notify you of any changes in the network (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/iphlp/receiving-notification-of-network-events), which could be used as a trigger to refresh the list of DS servers to use for forwarding. Not been able to figure out yet however how to get the list of DNS servers that should be used.

Would this be an interesting enhancement for Dual DHCP DNS Server?

Last edit: Maarten Boekhold 2020-01-14
  • Maarten Boekhold

FYI I just found how to get the list of current DNS Servers in windows: GetNetworkParams

• Maarten Boekhold

Hmmm, so turns out DualServer already does this...