Regarding devmon version 0.3.1-beta1
- Devmon stops working at irregular intervals.
- The dm column in xymon "goes purple" for lack of new information.
- devmon processes remain running.
- running "sudo killall devmon" (on ubuntu 8.10) is enough to return to a "green" state
- no errors or new entries in devmon.log file after communication stops
- upon sending a SIGTERM to the devmon master process, it stops all other processes, so it looks like it is responding to signals as it should
Other users have commented that running a cron job to kill the processes is their workaround. Or to use xymon to run a SCRIPT upon receiving a "purple" alert to restart the services.
(comments compiled from thorsten.erdmann and gthomas on hobbit/xymon mailing list)